Copying from remote to remote - is it possible to do it without using up all my local storage in the process?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm copying roughly 12TB from one Gdrive to another and don't have 12TB free space on anything. From what I'm seeing, rclone copy Gdrive1 Gdrive2 writes everything from Gdrive1 first. This is an issue since I don't have enough storage space to hold everything. Ideally, I would like to have rclone copy everything by downloading each file, uploading it to the new Gdrive, and deleting the local copy afterwards.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.48.0

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.12.6

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Linux 64-bit (Openmediavault/Debian. Rclone downloaded manually)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone copy Gdrive1 Gdrive2

as standard - rclone does not save anything locally if copying between (non-local) remotes.
It simply pipes the output from one directly into the other. The data only goes so far as your network and nothing gets stored.

If you are experiencing that files are being stored locally then something else must be causing that. Are you using the cache-backend for read and/or write caching on either of these? You might want to share your config file (just make sure to redact any passwords and other sensitive info).

BTW, rclone now supports server-side copying between remotes if you enable it. This way even the traffic doesn't go via you. The only problem is it is subject to quotas. The normal upload/day is 750GB/day. Server-side it is less. The exact limit is not well explored. I've hard 100GB/day but I believe I have seen more along the lines of 200-300GB in a single go before it stalls. Anyway, it can be useful to know about if you have very limited bandwith to work with.

1 Like

Hi, I found a workaround. By copying Gdrive1 to Gdrive2:directory, it is working fine :smile:

Thanks for helping, I'll look into server-side copying too

ok. that shouldn't be needed - but we can leave it at that if that's good enough for you. Otherwise id need to see the configs to help more.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.