Copying files from Google drive to shared google drive folder

I am trying to copy folders from my Google drive to a shared folder within my Google Drive.
I have setup the config in rclone and previously been using it to copy data from a remote server to my google drive with no issues.

I recently signed up for a shared google drive and now need to copy folders from my Google drive to the shared folder, however I don't seem to be getting the command/syntax right.

I am running the following command

rclone copy GDrive:Plex/filebot/ --drive-shared-with-me GDrive:mattflix/filebot/

Where GDrive is the name of the google drive in the rclone config and mattflix is the name of the shared folder

I get the following error

2023/06/05 10:06:26 ERROR : Google drive root 'Plex/filebot': error reading source root directory: directory not found
2023/06/05 10:06:26 ERROR : Attempt 1/3 failed with 1 errors and: directory not found
2023/06/05 10:06:27 ERROR : Google drive root 'Plex/filebot': error reading source root directory: directory not found
2023/06/05 10:06:27 ERROR : Attempt 2/3 failed with 1 errors and: directory not found
2023/06/05 10:06:27 ERROR : Google drive root 'Plex/filebot': error reading source root directory: directory not found
2023/06/05 10:06:27 ERROR : Attempt 3/3 failed with 1 errors and: directory not found
2023/06/05 10:06:27 Failed to copy: directory not found

rclone v1.59.2

• os/version: ubuntu 18.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.4.0-148-generic (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.18.6
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none
Current remotes:

Name                 Type
====                 ====
GDrive               drive
dropbox              dropbox

Screenshot 2023-06-05 100816

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

replicate GDrive remote in your config file:

[GDrive]

[GDrive-Shared]
--shared-with-me

and then:

rclone copy GDrive:Plex/filebot/  GDrive-Shared:mattflix/filebot/

I just tried editing the config file and instered

[GDrive-Shared]
--shared-with-me

and I then got the following error message when I ran rclone config

Failed to load config file "/home/megahertz/.config/rclone/rclone.conf": could not parse line: --shared-with-me

[GDrive]
client_id = 
client_secret = 
scope = drive
root_folder_id =

[GDrive-Shared]
client_id = 
client_secret = 
scope = drive
root_folder_id =
shared-with-me = true

Ok, gotcha.
That fixed the error messages I was getting and seemed to work until I realised it had created a new path under the root folder of my google drive of mattflix/filbot rather than copying the data to the shared drive.

Hmmm... maybe I am wrong

After another coffee I think I got it:

1. Shared with me folder is read only - so you can only copy files from there

2. To copy file from shared to main use connection string:

rclone copy "GDrive,shared_with_me:shared-file.txt" GDrive:

And on top of everything you do not want to do anything with shared_with_me:) You used this command and it confused me.

Now we can focus on shared drive:)

I think you have to create separate remote for your shared drive by following these instructions:

I purchased the shared folder through Layeronline to be an unlimited storage shared folder so I should be able to copy to it which is what I am trying to do, not copy from it.

Yes it is clear now.

Shared with me is Gdrive area where you see content shared by others with you - this is what --drive-shared-with-me flag is used for.

You have so called shared drive - to access it just follow instructions I posted. It will require new remote

Yep it required a new remote and to be set as a team drive.
All working now, thanks for the help, appreciate it!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.