Copying data into a new crypt

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

It's not a problem, it's more of a question. I mount gdrive to my desktop. But it's also mounted to my seedbox. Right now, none of the data in gdrive is encrypted (80TB worth). I am looking to encrypt these files in the easiest way possible, but still make sure they are accessible by both my seedbox and my home computer. I'm assuming i can't just encrypt the files. but instead i would need to copy them into a "crypt" and then mount that crypt on my local computer to use with plex. What would the easiest way to encrypt this data be? I know it's a lot. So i assume it will take awhile lol.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

You can move 750GB per day so 80TB would take ~106 days to crypt.

You can make a folder in your drive called whatever you want "crypt" I'll use and you make a new remote crypt remote pointing to that.

Depending on your layout, you can just rclone copy remote:nonencrypteddata to cryptremote: and exclude the crypt folder from your copy command.

You can either do it max per day and let it die or make a lower bandwidth setting and let it run continually.

First, let me say thank you. You are an incredible resource to this community. Every time I have a question, you're the one that I get the answer from.

My concern is this. As I said, I have my seedbox and my local server. Both of them run a plex server. Let's call them "plex a" and "plex b". "plex A" is on my seedbox, Google drive is mounted to that server via rclone. "Plex B" is running on an Ubuntu vm in my basement. The same Google drive account and folders are mounted to this computer as well also via Rclone. When I move everything into the crypt, what would be the steps to make sure I don't lose access on "plex b". My seedbox service support team will help me with "plex A"

So it depends on how you want to do it.

If you copy instead of move, you can just flip once done (albeit a long time) if you are not concerned about having the data twice.

If you have to move it, you have to use something to union both the old and new together.

Union (rclone.org)

So you'd have both the 'old' remote and 'new' remote and they would be a union and mount the union instead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.