Connection Rate Exceeded errors

I’ve seen this issue mentioned a ways back. I’ve been experiencing this and it’s interrupting some of the transfers I need to make. I do have a lot of content – it’s almost done, but these keep creating problems.

Google support says the developer may need to log in to their console and make some adjustments to curb these errors. I sent a private email to him, no reply yet. Here are the errors, the last one very direct:

2019-04-30 13:59:12 ERROR : Downloads/[ omitted ] error reading destination directory: couldn’t list directory: googleapi: Error 403: Rate Limit Exceeded, rateLimitExceeded

2019-04-29 19:24:06 ERROR : Images[ omitted ]: Failed to copy: googleapi: Error 403: User Rate Limit Exceeded. Rate of requests for user exceed configured project quota. You may consider re-evaluating expected per-user traffic to the API and adjust project quota limits accordingly. You may monitor aggregate quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console:
https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/drive.googleapis.com/quotas?project=202264815644, userRateLimitExceeded

Can someone chime in, how can we get these figures adjusted in the console for rclone? Should this not be an easy task, or am I missing something.

Thanks!

The good news is that it doesn’t matter if you use a personal API key or a GSuite API key as it just needs to not the default rclone one as that one is over subscribed.

Just follow the steps here:

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

Thanks for this info.

Looks like the Google API console has changed a bit since this article was written. I got to the point where I created credentials, but it’s not clear to me what protocols or methods to restrict it to – I presume HTTPS at least.

Also, when I started up rclone, it created a configuration file with a token and key – through a wizard. From the actions I took in the FAQ, it’s not clear to me what to change here. I’m going to guess I need another value in their for “token” – or mayne I need to run a config command with rclone.

I’m not sure what you mean by wizard, but you’d run rclone config

and you can enter in all the information via that.

It sounds like you picked wrong credentials as you want to make you followed this step:

Click “Credentials” in the left-side panel (not “Create credentials”, which opens the wizard), then “Create credentials”, then “OAuth client ID”. It will prompt you to set the OAuth consent screen product name, if you haven’t set one already.

I get that, but what I’m saying is the screens appear to be different. So what I’m seeing after selection of “credentials” is this:

When I go to the OAuth TAB, it has a bunch of fields to fill out – I don’t think that’s the right screen; or at least, it’s not clear to me.

But where is the Create Credentials tab that shows up from the above selection (image). That’s where I got my API key. I just deleted it, as it may be incorrect.

I’m guessing the FAQ may need to be updated for the new screen/UI changes.

I do see the dropdown from that “Create Credentials” item:

AAAnnnnd, this form will only allow one image per post, for new users.

I made you a user to fix that.

you want this one:

and pick OAuth Client ID

What’s missing here, is Google requires someone to set up an OAuth screen, that can take days to get verified.

I just want to copy my data without these interruptions – I probably won’t use this otherwise.

I’m not sure what you mean.

I made a new project and made a screen and instantly got prompted with creating an id as I named my new project “Test”.

Correct, but if you look at the following screen, you’ll see this:

It’s not clear to me how to get this into rclone – I presume I need to delete the old connection and establish a new one through rclone config – I’m not sure what they refer to as “sensitive scope logins”, limited to 100.

I figured it out, added a new config, deleted the old one. But can you see where an uninitiated user might get confused by google’s prompts. “sensitive scope logins” I will need to look up and figure whether it even applies to me.

The consent screen only would come up if you had an app you built and used credentials. For rclone, you won’t ever see a consent screen.

If you ran rclone config and entered in your client ID and secret, you are done.

Yeah, it appears to be working – perhaps Google could make that screen clearer, but I digress :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help.

Yeah, that screen is awful to be honest and depending on if you have a project or not, that makes it tough to write up too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.