Config Files: Does Order of Properties Matter?

When writing an rclone config file, does the order of properties matter? For instance, here's some output from the CLI config walkthrough:

[name]
type = s3
provider = Other
env_auth = false
access_key_id = blahblahblah
secrete_access_key = blahblahblah
endpoint = s3.us-west-1.somesite.com
acl = private
region = us-east-1
bucket_acl = private
chunk_size = 50Mi
max_upload_parts = 1000

Can these properties be specified in ANY order, or is it critical that some come before others?

Likewise: if I add a crypt remote that targets name, can the definition of the crypt remote come BEFORE name's definition in the config file?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the order does not matter, in any of the cases. The entire config file is read and loaded into memory, basically into a key-value (map) structure, before rclone starts to make sense of it. Hopefully someone who knows 100% will stop by soon, but until then you could run some simple tests yourself to strengthen the hypothesis...

I agree with @albertony and also cannot give you an authoritative answer, but this command sequence has the expected effect:

rclone config create myAlias alias   remote myLocal:
rclone config create myLocal local
rclone config show
rclone lsf myAlias:

and this is the way I prefer to create and edit my config programmatically:

rclone config create myRemote s3   provider Other   env_auth false   access_key_id blahblahblah   secret_access_key blahblahblah   ...
rclone config update myRemote      chunk_size 50Mi  max_upload_parts 1000   …
rclone config delete myRemote 

Documentation:
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_config/

The properties can be specified in any order.

It is traditional to put type first, but it will work anywhere

Any properties you leave out will get their defaults.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.