Combining Microsoft 365 Family to get 6 TB of cloud storage

Hi everyone!

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

There is not a problem I'm facing, but more something I'm thinking about and figuring out if this would be possible.

I'm considering to take a Microsoft 365 family subscription and make multiple Microsoft accounts with it. This would give me 6 TB of cloud storage to back-up my most important files from Google Drive to.

I'm considering to use Rclone Union for this. But it's still a bit unknown to me if this would work for the following scenario:

• I have 2 TB+ of very important files on Google Drive I want to back-up to a second location. I would like to use Microsoft 365 Family for this and make multiple Microsoft accounts. I would like to combine the accounts using Rclone union. The expected behaviour for me would be:

• Rclone Sync to the union.

• The union config will fill up Microsoft account 1 first, until 1 TB is reached.

• After that the union config will fill up Microsoft account 2, until 1 TB is reached.

• etc.

Spreading files between the 6 Microsoft accounts would also be fine with me.

Is this possible?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.57.0
- os/version: debian 10.11 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 4.19.0-13-amd64 (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.2
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive (Google Workspace)
Microsoft OneDrive (Microsoft 365 Family)

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone sync google:/personal-files/ microsoft-union:/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

I don't have this configured yet for the union, since I don't have the Microsoft subscription at this moment.

A log from the command with the -vv flag

There hasn't been a sync, because I don't have the subscription yet.

Thanks so much for helping!

This shouldn't be a problem though I have found rclone's union to miss some important features I wish it had for a similar usage (notably, the ability to specify a prefernece based on the order, rather than the current rules).

First of all, I highly suggest making a union remote of two local directories and test. You may even want to do it inside of disk images so you can set free space.

But basically, you want to use the lfs or eplfs rules (i.e. Least-Free-Space). That will fill up your first one and then your second.

One thing I do not know is what happens if, say, you have 100mb left and try to transfer a 101 mb file. Does anyone else know how that will behave?

A word of warning about OneDrive: The 400 character limit really sucks. Especially with name encryption. I bought 365 Family as well with a similar idea as you but I kind of regret it for that reason.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.