Clear rclone cache

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

My question is trivial, but by Googling, I was only able to find outdated information that doesn't seem relevant anymore. I simply mounted my OneDrive space in a directory called OneDrive using rclone mount --daemon onedrive: OneDrive, and then I started a backup using Duplicity. Unfortunately, the data I was backing up was way bigger than the filesystem where I created the OneDrive directory (which incidentaly is also my root filesystem). The backup failed with the error "OSError: No space left on device" and my root filesystem is full. (As a side note, I was expecting rclone to slow down the copy instead of reporting that the filesystem is full). So I guess that the space on my root filesystem was occupied by rclone's cache, but I found no way of clearing it. How can I delete rclone's cache?
Thanks for your help.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.50.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.6

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS 64 bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount --daemon onedrive: OneDrive

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[onedrive]
type = onedrive
token = *redacted*
drive_id = *redacted*
drive_type = business

Your mount command doesn't use any cache.

You should update as well as it's an old version.

Thanks for your reply. I looked a bit more into the issue and found out that the LVM volume that was automatically created by Ubuntu was about half the size of my disk, so it probably was already nearly full and rclone had nothing to do with it, I'll increase its size. As for the version of rclone, I've installed the one from Ubuntu's repositories. I'll try compiling from source in case I get any problem to be sure to have the latest version.

Just follow the install:

No need to compile or do anything else.

1 Like

Now I don't know what to think. I nearly doubled my root fs' size (from 55GB to 109GB) and after restarting the backup the partition is full again with duplicity complaining about the FS being full. This has definitely something to do with the backup, but also seems that it isn't duplicity's fault: it uses a chace, but its size is far from explaining the occupied space:

$ ls -lh .cache/duplicity/aadbb24a19ece61826abd4ca8bea4501/                                                                                                 
total 1.1G                                                                                                                                                               
-rw------- 1 giacomo giacomo 131K Nov 16 17:50 duplicity-full.20201114T175232Z.manifest.part                                                                             
-rw------- 1 giacomo giacomo 1.1G Nov 16 17:50 duplicity-full-signatures.20201114T175232Z.sigtar.part                                                                    
-rw-rw-r-- 1 giacomo giacomo    0 Nov 14 17:51 lockfile                                                 

Also the OneDrive folder that I was using for the backup appears to be empty. Are you 100% sure that there isn't any caching happening on the rclone's side?

Based on the information you've provided, 100%.

Thank you for your assistance, I finally found out the problem and it was just a trivial mistake: duplicity asks for a destination of the backup in URL format (file://path_to_dest), and I put at the beginning of an absolute path two slashes instead of three. So the path was interpreted as a relative one and duplicity created a new directory hierarchy inside my home folder instead of writing the backup inside rclone's mountpoint. I fixed the path and now it works. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.