Can't mount Google Drive with 1.62.2 - FUSE error

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I can access Google Drive with rclone but I can't mount to a directory.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.62.2

• os/version: ubuntu 22.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.2.0 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.20.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run

sudo rclone mount --config=/home/myname/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --uid 1000 --gid 1000 googdrive: /mnt/googdrive

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[googdrive]
type = drive
scope = drive
token = {}
client_id = {}
client_secret = {}
root_folder_id = {}

A log from the command with the -vv flag

sudo rclone -vv mount --config=/home/myname/.config/rclone/rclone.conf --uid 1000 --gid 1000 googdrive: /mnt/googdrive
2023/05/29 22:55:17 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.62.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "mount" "--config=/home/myname/.config/rclone/rclone.conf" "--uid" "1000" "--gid" "1000" "googdrive:" "/mnt/googdrive"]
2023/05/29 22:55:17 DEBUG : Creating backend with remote "googdrive:"
2023/05/29 22:55:17 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/myname/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2023/05/29 22:55:18 DEBUG : Google drive root '': Mounting on "/mnt/googdrive"
2023/05/29 22:55:18 mount helper error: fusermount3: fuse device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
2023/05/29 22:55:18 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1

More information:

I have installed fuse3. Here are some relevant commands:

$ fusermount -V
fusermount3 version: 3.10.5
$ which fusermount
/usr/bin/fusermount
$ which fusermount3
/usr/bin/fusermount3
$ sudo modprobe fuse
modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/5.2.0

Did you run

apt install fuse3

Looks like you might be missing the actual module as part of the install. If there was a kernel update, maybe a reboot would solve it.

Yes, I had it installed, then I removed both fuse and fuse3 and then reinstalled just fuse3.

$ sudo apt purge fuse
$ sudo apt remove fuse
$ sudo apt purge fuse3
$ sudo apt autoremove
$ sudo apt install fuse3

I just rebooted and I get the same problem from the "modprobe fuse" command

I started to install fuse but I didn't complete it because it said that fuse3 will be removed if I continue. Should I install fuse before installing fuse3?

$ sudo apt install fuse
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libfuse3-3
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libfuse2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fuse3
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  fuse libfuse2
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 117 kB of archives.
After this operation, 354 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Newer versions only use fuse3 so no reason for fuse anymore.

You'd want to wipe out all the fuse items I'd imagine and just put fuse3 on.

What sort of Ubuntu 22.04 it is?

Ubuntu 22.04 is using 5.19 kernel nowadays and was released with kernel 5.15 in April 2020. And you are on kernel 5.2.0... released in July 2019 - EOL Oct 2019 (it was short term release)

It looks for me that your system has some problem (or customizations) hence issues with kernel modules. You have to sort it out and make fuse3 to work. It is prerequisite for rclone mount

On out of the box Ubuntu 22.04 rclone mount works without any issues.

Also is it real computer or some VPS?

It's a VPS, so I'll try moving back to the older version of rclone that I had.

I have a real machine at my house that is currently using an old version of rclone (the version that gets installed from the Ubuntu repo), but with fuse3 working and this Google Drive mount is working. That machine has this:

rclone v1.53.3-DEV
- os/arch: linux/amd64
- go version: go1.18.1

Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS x86_64
Kernel: 5.15.0-72-generic

$ fusermount -V
fusermount3 version: 3.10.5

It sounds like I might be safe trying to upgrade the rclone on that machine, although I might hold off since it's already working.

ok - what I have seen many times is that some elcheap-o providers do not use virtual machines but some form of containers - it means that among many other limitations you can not add any kernel modules. Way to fix your problem would be you talk to your VPS company and ask them to add fuse3 to their setup. But I doubt given what kernel they are using that they will do it:)

Now if you are happy with you VPS machine for what you do all is fine but most likely rclone mount wont work there.

you can download latest rclone and keep old one from Ubuntu repo. You can have both. I use Ubuntu 22.04 and latest rclone works perfectly

and run sometimes on your machine:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

the current os/kernel: is 5.19.0-42-generic

On that home machine, I definitely run

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

at least once a week, including over this past weekend. Is the kernel supposed to update with those commands? I see it update all the other packages, but the kernel hasn't been touched after running that many times.

But back to my VPS, It's definitely a cheapo VPS - the second cheapest I could find. It's OpenVZ, so I don't have much I can do. I was actually moving away from the cheapest, Oracle Free Tier, but it turns out that their system is more robust and hasn't given me troubles like this with rclone mounts. Looks like I need to shop for the third cheapest. Thanks for your help.

Just one more thing. On this original cheapo VPS I originally installed using the repo using

sudo apt install rclone

then later added the new version by using:

sudo -v ; curl https://rclone.org/install.sh | sudo bash

I just removed rclone like this:

$ sudo apt remove rclone
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rclone
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 42.6 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 28504 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing rclone (1.53.3-4ubuntu1.22.04.2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...

$ rclone -V
-bash: rclone: command not found

I was surprised that the 1.6.2 version was removed in addition to he original version installed with apt. Is this expected when installing using the install.sh script? I guess that install script puts the new version in the place of the existing version? When you say that you have different versions running on the same machine, are you putting the rclone static binary in ~/.local/bin or something?

You seem to making it more confusing.

Don't install rclone via any package manager as they are always dated.

The only thing you need to do to install rclone is run through the install.

That's it.

If you need a mount, you need to install fuse.

apt install fuse3

That works on any 22.04 Ubuntu system.

Yes something is not right. Strange - but you can google it easy.

The rest I agree with @Animosity022

FYI - I had to something on old server and had a look - you have the same kernel as on previous LTS Ubuntu release 20.04:

Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
5.15.0-72-generic

Ubuntu has a few kernel flavors.

The LTS versions also come with the Hardware Entitlement stack which is a more up to date kernel as well.

So 22.x was on the 5.15 GA version with the HWE enabled and 20.x LTS in your case has the HWE stack enabled so they look like the same.

22.x on the HWE is a newer kernel.

Kernel version isn't the issue as it's mixed packages/something broken on the OS.

yeap - it was just side question/answer. rclone will work with any kernel

Thanks for the info.

Regarding the side discussion about kernels, I should have specified that I installed Kubuntu 22.04 LTS onto the real machine sometime over winter and I just noticed that their announcement page says that they were using the 5.15 kernel in that release:
https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-22-04-lts-released/

I'll have to look into why my OS is at 22.04.02 but the kernel didn't update.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.