Can't mount ACD (fusermount permission error?)

I’ve set up a remote for unencrypted amazon cloud drive which is working as expected. I tried to mount using:
rclone mount acd: ~/acd &

And I get this error:
2016/12/17 16:43:29 mount helper error: fusermount: failed to open /etc/mtab: Permission denied
2016/12/17 16:43:29 mount helper error: fusermount: failed to access mountpoint /home/USER/acd: Permission denied
2016/12/17 16:43:29 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: fusermount: exit status 1

I’m on Ubuntu 16.04. Can anyone give me some advice to fix this?

Is your fusermount setuid?

It should look like this

$ ls -l /bin/fusermount
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 30800 Jul 12 08:03 /bin/fusermount

To fix it do sudo chmod u+s /bin/fusermount

I checked /bin/fusermount and it is set as you say.

I am also experiencing a similar problem as ToasterFaerie. When trying to mount with rclone, I get:

[1] 14013
2016/12/21 08:37:07 mount helper error: fusermount: failed to open /etc/mtab: Permission denied

However, I noticed that the mount still works despite the error.

Interesting!

So maybe it is the second of the errors that is causing the problem

does that directory /home/USER/acd exist and have the right permissions?

Also are you mounting as a different user to USER?

Yes, /home/USER/acd exists and has the permissions drwxrwxr-x and is owned by the USER. I am trying to mount as that same user.

Based on ezumi’s comment, I tried using the mount anyway and it does not work for me.

Hi ToasterFaerie,

Just wondering, are you using rclone’s built-in crypt for your mount? Your acd: remote points to /home/USER/acd?

I’m not using crypt for this example. I have made an encrypted remote too, and I get the same error.

I am trying to mount my acd drive to the location /home/USER/acd I’ve tried mounting with the error again and I can see the file structure, so it is actually working after all.

I tried copying some files I get errors like this:
USER@server:~$ cp testfile acd/
2016/12/22 15:12:39 testfile: WriteFileHandle.Flush error: Post https://content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/nodes?suppress=deduplication: http: ContentLength=430 with Body length 441
cp: failed to close ‘acd/testfile’: Input/output error

and like this…

USER@server:~$ cp anothertestfile acd/
2016/12/22 15:08:49 anothertestfile : WriteFileHandle.Flush error: HTTP code 429: “429 Too Many Requests”, reponse body: {“logref”:“28383583-c850-11e6-b0f7-f111bfa13631”,“message”:“Rate exceeded”,“code”:""}
cp: failed to close ‘acd/anothertestfile’: Input/output error

Are these typical connection errors? Is it not possible to copy files to the mounted drive this way?

Should I be able to see /home/USER/acd mounted when I run the df command? (I don’t see it.)

Yes.

You can write to the fuse mount, but I’d recommend you use rclone copy as it will do retries and work around connection problems which cp to a mount won’t.

Ok. As it stands now I still get the error:
mount helper error: fusermount: failed to open /etc/mtab: Permission denied

However, I am able to read from the mount after. So far I have not able to write to the mount, but as you suggest I am using rclone with much better results. Thanks.

I think this must be a problem with your installation of fuse, but I can’t figure out exactly what!

Just as a point of interest, I did a fresh install on SOYOUSTART dedicated server about an hour ago… Ubuntu 16.04… fresh install with nothing other than a few utilities to install unzip etc etc and then installed rclone and got the same errors as described in this thread.

I ran a findmnt and can see that it looks like its working… and I can LS into my Cloud Storage like normal… but I get these errors like ToasterFaerie.

Now I have installed my setup on 4 different VPS and multiple times over the past 4 months and never been hit with this error before.

I might wipe this install and install Ubuntu 16.10 and see if that makes a difference…

@Onyx

Few things.

SoYouStart uses a custom kernel for their installs which causes some wonky things.

The fusermount error I’ve gotten when mountin/unmounting with a non-root user. The error can safely be ignored as the folder does unmount as intended.

I am also on a Kimsufi sever running Ubuntu 16.04. Maybe this is an issue shared by OVH servers.

Was a solution ever found? I have a dedicated server at OVH with the same problem.

I still get this error message when mounting, but I have been running rclone with otherwise no problems.

Does /etc/mtab exist? It should be a symlink to /proc/self/mounts
eg

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Jul 12  2015 /etc/mtab -> /proc/self/mounts

Yes, I have:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Nov 13 2016 /etc/mtab -> ../proc/self/mounts

And if I open it I can see the rclone mount listed. :confused: