Cannot Seek in Rclone + OneDrive + Plex setup

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have mounted my OneDrive Personal using my own client id and secret to be used as a Movie library in Plex. Everything from discovering the folder in Plex and playing the movies works fine; the movies play without any interruption if I just watch the movie without any seeking. However, the moment I try to seek, for e.g. I click on the progress bar an hour into the movie, the movie keeps endlessly loading. I haven't checked for how long it loads and if it ever stops loading, but my guess is it waits for rclone to download the movie up to that hour mark and only then it'll start playing.

So my question is, is there a way to make it so that rclone downloads from wherever the progress marker is so that seeking in Plex works seamlessly? The command I'm using for mounting the drive is given down below.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.65.0
- os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 10.0.19045.2604 (x86_64)
- os/type: windows
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.21.4
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount OneDrive: P: --vfs-cache-mode full --buffer-size 1G --vfs-read-ahead 500M --vfs-cache-max-size 10G --vfs-cache-max-age 336h --cache-dir D:\RcloneCache\CacheDir --dir-cache-time 1000h --timeout 1h --log-file D:\RcloneCache\Rclone.log --log-level INFO --user-agent "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.61 Safari/537.36$"

Please run 'rclone config redacted' and share the full output. If you get command not found, please make sure to update rclone.

[OneDrive]
type = onedrive
token = XXX
drive_id = XXX
drive_type = personal
client_id = XXX
client_secret = XXX

This is how it usually works.

Try removing --buffer-size 1G --vfs-read-ahead 500M flags from your mount command.

1 Like

Thank you, removing those has helped improve seeking quite a bit. It's still really slow though, for e.g. if I play a previously uncached movie and immediately jump to the 2 hour mark, it takes close to a minute to resume playing (I know for a fact it isn't downloading everything in the middle because my connection isn't fast enough to download 2 hrs worth of movie in under a min). Although a huge improvement from before, can this be sped up any further?

EDIT: The cache directory is currently sitting on my HDD. I wonder if moving it to my SSD will make any difference.

I do not think it will make much different but the best way would be to test.

This sounds like Internet speed.. If connection is slow things take a bit longer. I do not think you can do anything about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.