Cannot rename or move files in an rclone mounted remote. Renaming or moving folders works flawlessly

Thank you for an exhaustive answer.

I usually run rclone mount via cmd as a regular user and it mounts fine. I just checked. Just now, I tried running it with admin privileges, but it will not mount at all no matter what, even though I tried it a few times.

I don't think that I have ever used rclone mount as a system service, which is something that I will research later, because it sounds interesting.

Also, I have rcloneBrowser and it is very good overall, but unfortunately it doesn't have some important Windows functions, such as drag&drop to move and double-click to rename.

@ncw So, if my understanding of running rclone as a windows service is correct, then I'm not running rclone as a service, but via cmd as a user without admin privileges. I cannot even mount a remote via cmd as a user with admin privileges.

try right-mouse-click and choose rename
or try right-mouse-click, choose properties and rename.

"I cannot even mount a remote via cmd as a user with admin privileges."
that is due to security restrictions on windows
that is expected behavior, which can be changed with a registry change.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3035277/mapped-drives-are-not-available-from-an-elevated-prompt-when-uac-is-co

advantages of running as a service are:

1. running rclone mount as system user, gets around that elevated prompt issue
  2. the mount can be shared so that anybody on your lan can access the rclone mount.
  3. run the mount as windows boots but before a user has logged in.

As soon as I right-click on a file the entire window becomes unresponsive. Mind you, this happens even before I try to rename anything. I can right-click on a folder just fine.

I'm testing this with FileZilla Pro and it also becomes unresponsive from time to time, and there is lag. However, most of the time it works with lag for both files and folders. Renaming/Moving folders via Windows Explorer is pretty much instant.

Have you seen a good post/document around here about how to set it up for Windows?

i agree this is very strange behaviour.

perhaps it is a win7 issue, as this over 5+ years old.

press F2 to rename a file
if you rename a file using the crypted remote, what happens?

It either freezes or it highlights the name and freezes when I change the name and press Enter, depending on whether I opt to see details (like file size, mod date etc.) or just icons without details. I read that disabling preview pane, details pane and the like might help, but it doesn't solve my issue.

Turning off antivirus also doesn't help.

i would

1. kill the rclone mount
  2. use rclonebrowser to rename a file
  3. see what happens.

Renaming via rclonebrowser works well for both files and folders, although it takes a while for the operation to finish (about the same amount of time in both cases). There are no freezes when renaming or moving files or folders. The problem is that, as I mentioned before, rclonebrowser doesn't have some important Windows functions, such as drag&drop to move and double-click to rename. It takes forever to move and rename numerous files.

can post a speedtest.net test?
can you post a ping 8.8.8.8?

what upload speeds do you get when you move files?

I'm using a VPN now, so I only get a fraction of my actual speed. However, this should still be enough to rename a file without crashes.

Speedtest.net results

PING ms = 40; DOWNLOAD 109.83Mbps UPLOAD 96.17Mbps

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 27ms

Do you mean transfer between my local HDDs or upload to a remote? I upload at about 11.5MB/s now.

Also, bear in mind, that renaming and moving folders works. So, this cannot be about my network settings or transfer capability.

oh a vpn.
have you tested without vpn?

also, i might have missed that fact that you can rename folders without problems?
just renaming files is the problem?

simply changing a dns server can create major problems.
having autotune disabled can create major problems.

I'm very familiar with that case, because I reported and solved it myself a few days ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

The reason why it simply cannot be this is that I can move and rename folders without an issue, but I cannot move or rename files at all. If it were due to network settings, then at the very least I would expect both files and folders to be affected alike (or even folders to be affected more due to the fact that they contain files, whose paths also needs to be changed). Agreed?

Those are my results without a VPN:

As we can clearly see, I beat you on Download and Ping. :slightly_smiling_face: On the downside, turning off VPN does nothing to help me with the freezing problem.

no,
renaming a folder has nothing to do with the number of files or subpaths.

you seem to have many problems, first auto-tune, then ipv6 and now this.

anyway, i am just trying to be helpful, trying to eliminate everything before calling this a bug.

Thanks for trying to help. Suggesting other file management software was a good call and it's better than my current methods, although getting rclone mount to work would be ideal (so that I don't have to use different tools for different things).

I do have many problems and, honestly, I'm glad that somebody finally noticed! Work, women, alcohol, occasional drugs and health problems, just to name a few.

However, as far as rclone is concerned, everything works fine now except renaming and moving files in rclone mount. The auto-tune and ipv6 were related to the same one problem that I had in the past, which I managed to solve and share the findings on this forum in case anyone comes across it in the future. Now that problem is history and I have normal upload speeds for individual files.

So, I tested this on my W10 PC (by coping my config + rclone + WinFSP) and renaming/moving files works flawlessly.

The issue must be with W7 in general or my system. Probably the latter. At the moment, I have no Idea what it could be. I reinstalled WinFSP, cleaned the system drive, even tried changing network adapter settings, but nothing helps... As little as right-clicking on a file, can make the mounted drive window unresponsive.

One of the things that I noticed is that rclone uses an unreasonable amount of CPU power (over 70% of my 3.8Ghz quad-core CPU) during the unresponsive period.

After I force close the unresponsive window, the CPU usage drops to 0%, RAM usage remains the same and rclone mount is still running.

In addition, sometimes I manage to change one or two file names and it works fine. Then, when I try another file it freezes... and it looks like this:

yeah, i had mentioned that as a possible problem but then again you have many problems :upside_down_face:
sure you know that you can upgrade to w10 for free via ms website.

I know, but I don't like W10. Besides, changing OS, because of a bug like this is a little extreme.

agreed, but want to be sure you knew that.

As there are no solutions so far, although the user asdffdsa did provide some helpful suggestions, I created a post over at SuperUser with a summary of the issue. Hopefully, a hero will arise...

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.