Cannot get SFTP to work with id_rsa keyfile

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm trying to connect to a Hetzner storagebox via SFTP.
I set up authentication without password via keyfile, which works if I connect to the server through commandline with ssh -p 23 XXXX@XXXX

After I follow the rclone config wizard and try to mount the cloud storage I only get the following error:

Failed to create file system for "storagebox:/": couldn't connect to ssh-agent: SSH agent requested but SSH_AUTH_SOCK not-specified

After a bit of googling I found out that I maybe need to forward my ssh agent? But how do I do that?
I'm using Proxmox.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.60.0

• os/version: debian 11.5 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.15.64-1-pve (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Hetzner Storagebox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount storagebox:/ /mnt/storagebox/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[storagebox]
type = sftp
host = xxxxx
user = xxxxx
port = 23

Ok, I figured out that I first have to execute the following commands to get it working:

eval `ssh-agent`
ssh-add

However the speed is very slow compared to a transfer with scp. I only get 5MB/s with rclone regardless of the number of transfers I'm setting. I will open a seperate topic for that issue. However someone could tell me if it is the normal process to first start an instance of ssh-agent and then adding the keys to it or am I doing something wrong?

It depends on how your OS is set up. Mine starts the ssh-agent for me, but I have to add the keys manually.

1 Like

How did you set up the autostart of the SSH agent?

My OS starts the SSH agent for me. You can usually do it in the autostart config for your desktop.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.