Cannot create WinFsp-FUSE file system: invalid mount point [For streaming from GDrive to Plex]

I have seen many people with the same issue, fixing by modifying the mount point to an unused drive (e.g. X:), but my intention is to be able to stream on Plex via rclone.
Using that trick the command works, Plex sees the drive (X:), but no media is displayed.
Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

This is my input:

rclone mount --allow-other --allow-non-empty educrypt: ~/mnt/edu &

Output:
Cannot create WinFsp-FUSE file system: invalid mount point.
2019/09/03 17:51:37 ERROR : Google drive root '': Mount failed
2019/09/03 17:51:37 Fatal error: failed to mount FUSE fs: mount stopped before calling Init: mount failed

EDIT: Same happens if I use this command:

rclone mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --cache-db-purge educache: ~/mnt/edu &

You seem to be on Windows so you need to supply a Drive letter as Windows does not understand a Linux mount point.

Pick a free drive letter and you'd mount to that.

You should also remove --allow-non-empty as it allows for multiple processes to run/hides thing/etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried that, the command works but as I open Plex and add the drive (which is full of videos) as a new Library, it appears empty.
Do you know why it happens?

Are you seeing files in there at all when you check the drive ?

Does:

rclone lsf educrypt:

return anything?

1 Like

2019/09/03 18:10:08 ERROR : : error listing: directory not found
2019/09/03 18:10:08 Failed to lsf with 2 errors: last error was: error in ListJSON: directory not found

I don't get it. I have just created this remote following thoroughly the guide

Seems like your remote has nothing in it or isn't configured right.

Can you share your rclone.conf without keys/passwords and what version of rclone are you using?

I used Rclone Browser 1.2 to create those remotes.
I'm not sure how to share the .conf removing the important data

Not sure I'd be using rclone browser as it's a 3rd party thing and not updated for a few years.

rclone.conf example:

[GD]
type = drive
client_id = clientID
token = {"access_token":"token"}

[gcrypt]
type = crypt
remote = GD:media
filename_encryption = standard
password = password
password2 = password
directory_name_encryption = true
upload_cutoff = 128M
chunk_size = 128M

I'm trying to figure out how to get that. Opening the .conf file with Notepad is useless (encrypted). I'm trying downloading the last rclone version.
Sorry I'm making you wait

[educrypt]
type = crypt
remote = educache:
password = *** ENCRYPTED ***
password2 = *** ENCRYPTED ***

[educache]
type = cache
remote = edu:
plex_url = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
plex_username = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
plex_password = *** ENCRYPTED ***
chunk_size = 16M
info_age = 2d
chunk_total_size = 20G

[edu]
type = drive
client_id = xxxxxxxxxxx
client_secret =xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
scope = drive
token = xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seems like I can mount without crypting and I would manage to watch through Plex.. it seems a bit risky though.

If rclone ls educrypt: was not returning anything, I'd guess you didn't upload anything encrypted as the crypt points to your entire Google Drive.

The way crypt works is you have to upload do it via rclone to create encrypted files. Most folks usually define a folder for that as I called mine "media" above and everything in media is encrypted.

So the regular listing has the encrypted files and the crypt remote can see what's behind it.

felix@gemini:~$ rclone lsd GD:media
          -1 2017-04-18 16:14:26        -1 smu5ej34ujbdoip1cm3mlk92q4
          -1 2018-06-17 10:24:02        -1 tnvepu36qiohcun8v84ddhsam0
felix@gemini:~$ rclone lsd gcrypt:
          -1 2018-06-17 10:24:02        -1 Movies
          -1 2017-04-18 16:14:26        -1 TV
felix@gemini:~$

I personally wouldn't use any media unless it was encrypted. YMMV.

1 Like

So can I use rclone copy [Source] edu: or I should use educrypt: as destination?

Anyway thanks so much for that, I couldn't have figured it out by myself.

I'd create a folder on your Google Drive. Call it anything you want. I use "media"

So on your edu: you'd see something like this:

felix@gemini:~$ rclone lsd GD:
          -1 2019-09-03 12:48:02        -1 gemini
          -1 2017-06-09 09:59:43        -1 media

You'd point your encrypted config to (if you want to use the cache), educache:media

I call mine gcrypt:

[gcrypt]
type = crypt
remote = GD:media

So I use the encrypted remote to copy a file, I can see both the encrypted file in the folder and if I use the encrypted remote, I see the right name:

felix@gemini:/opt/rclone$ rclone lsl GD:media/rs88l6p51j4kp0g9if3j294ts0
      302 2019-08-30 07:33:52.063000000 rs88l6p51j4kp0g9if3j294ts0
felix@gemini:/opt/rclone$ rclone lsl gcrypt:hosts
      254 2019-08-30 07:33:52.063000000 hosts

There is a pretty solid write up here:

https://rclone.org/crypt/

1 Like

That's perfect. Only issue is rclone related (can't just move stuff in there easily from GDrive), but this is still pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, the encryption is an rclone thing so you have to reupload it with rclone.

1 Like

Be advised that if you have unencrypted data on the drive already then these may not appear at all when viewed through a crypt remote.

It is generally advised to keep encrypted and unencrypted files in separate folder structures and set up one remote for each to avoid any confusion. That also makes it easy to encrypt your unencrypted data on the fly if the goal to to eventually make it all encrypted.

1 Like

Could you tell me how to encrypt data on the fly? It all seems sooo long to do

Let me specify that when I said "on the fly" I don't mean server-side. The Gdrive server just isn't capable of that sort of computing. You still have to re-upload one way or another. By "on the fly" I mean you can just drag&drop files from an unencrypted location to an encrypted one (or have a script do this for you until it is done).

The short explanation:
Set up a direct remote (without encryption) and one with encryption layered.
Then just transfer your files from one to the other normally (if you have a ton of files you might want to use a move command with a --bwlimit 8M to avoid it stalling from daily quota restrictions). Gdrives have 750GB upload/day quota.

Long explanation:
The encrypted and unencrypted remotes would look something like this in your configuration file:

[Gdrive]
type = drive
client_id = [REDACTED]
client_secret = [REACTED]
scope = drive
token = [REDACTED]
team_drive = [REDACTED]

[GdriveCrypt]
type = crypt
remote = Gdrive:\encrypted
password = [REDACTED]
password2 = [REDACTED]

You then can mount both Gdrive (which will be unencrypted) and Gdrivecrypt (which is encrypted) and transfer between the two. Data goes from Gdrive -> your system -> back to Grdrive in encrypted form.

There is unfortunately no way to get around that you have to re-upload data to encrypt it.
The only workaround is to use rclone on an external VPS (like Goodle Compute Engine) so you effectively have unlimited bandwith to do the operation, but that adds another layer of complexity of course and is probably best reserved for advanced users. It can be done at fairly trivial cost or potentially even free though - if you happen to have really limited local bandwidth.

1 Like

Drag&Drop is still way better than what I'm doing right now..
If it's not too much hassle, could you make an example on how to mount them both? Or should I just use rclone move Gdrive: Gdrivecrypt: ?

Anyway thanks a lot!

Using the configuration above as a template, you would just do something like:
rclone move Gdrive: Gdrivecrypt: -P
(-P just enables realtime progress indicator which is useful for a large bulk transfer)

That's the most simple, efficient and safest way of doing a large transfer directly in the commandline.
Note that you can safely abort this operation and resume it at any time without risk of losing data (local files are not deleted until they are fully uploded and verified to have arrived safely). Add --bwlimit 8M if you want to do 24/7 uploading rather than more focused bursts to hit your 750GB daily upload allowance. Whatever suits you best.

You could of course mount them both instead:
rclone mount Gdrive: X:
and
rclone mount Gdrivecrypt: Y:
and just drag&drop from X: to Y: inside the OS, but the direct command-line method is probably the best method for any large transfers like this as it's less complex, has less restrictions and least overhead. Mounts are good for convenient day-to-day usage and for allowing third-party software to access the files in the cloud, but that's not needed for this spesific scenario I think.

1 Like