Can rclone restore a directory from a previous version of the directory?

if I accidentally delete the ~/Documents directory on my Linux desktop, and then rclone rsync to backup, the result is an empty ~/Documents directory in my backup.
Can rclone restore the ~/Documents directory from a previous version of the directory?

Thank you.

Which cloud provider did you use? rclone puts deleted stuff in the trash normally so hopefully you’ll find it in there. b2 makes versions…

@ncw am currently considering rsync.net or hubiC (via SFTP), but am open to suggestions for other providers.
(I was testing Backblaze b2 when I noticed the potential short coming)

Can rclone with any SFTP rsync provider restore a directory from a previous version of a directory?
What other features of a provider would indicate rsync could restore a directory from a previous version?

I misread your question, I thought you had deleted your documents…

If you are wondering how to set up a sync with rclone to help with this, then you want to use the –backup-dir option. You can then keep the files you delete for a while.

Does that help?

Thank you ncw, that is exactly what I needed.

I will put this in my script:

rclone sync /path/to/local remote:current --backup-dir remote:old

and run it hourly from cron.
That way hourly snapshots are saved, and I can restore a directory from old.

The --backup-dir option requires a remote that supports server side move or copy.
Remotes with move or copy are listed in https://rclone.org/overview/#optional-features

1 Like