Can RCLONE be instrumented as a server / client e.g

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm extremly new to Rclone. just testing it out now.

I don't have a problem with RClone. It is working great. I am so glad I found this service. I have built backup scripting services on my servers using RSync. The problem I have with my rsync scripts is that it uses much system resources. I currently have a NAS disk mounted to my servers where I backup files. I want to push the data files to a Cloud service like BOX.

I am wanting to put together a server, that in itself, manages all backups. so, the backup server will call a remote server local file system, and back up the files to Cloud Box component.

however, from what I know at this time, RClone needs to be invoked on the server where the files are located, and the command must be issued from the server where the files are located, ?

[ backup server ]
                                  |
                                  v
                       [ server to backup ] -> [ Box ]

Can I do this with RClone? if yes, can you point me in the right direction ?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

$ ./rclone.exe --version
rclone v1.53.1

• os/arch: windows/amd64
  • go version: go1.15

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

I am testing on Windows 10 64 bit, but I want my end result on Linux, RedHat 6/7.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Box

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

This is working,

Paste command here

#### The rclone config contents with secrets removed.  
<!--  You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.   -->

Paste config here

```type = box
```client_id = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
```client_secret = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
```box_config_file = C:\Users\212555427\opt\rclone-v1.53.1-windows-amd64\rclone-v1.53.1-windows-amd64\186603__config.json
```box_sub_type = enterprise
```token = {"access_token":"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX","token_type":"bearer","expiry":"2020-10-27T16:33:53.4187419-05:00"}

#### A log from the command with the `-vv` flag  
<!-- You should use 3 backticks to begin and end your paste to make it readable.  Or use a service such as https://pastebin.com or https://gist.github.com/   -->

``` works great
Paste  log here

You could, for example, read the files from the remote servers using sftp so you'd set up an sftp backend for each server and one for the destination then copy between them.

Otherwise, yes, you'd need to run rclone on each individual server. You could do this remotely via ssh or something more sophisticated like Ansible (which can also install rclone for you).

Thanks Nick, appreciate your response. yeah, I was thinking along those lines, was hoping like always, a more eloquent approach, with less moving parts. :slight_smile: - thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.