Can I use rclone to cache complete movie files from Unraid NAS to my Plex Machine

Hello,
Is it possible to use rclone to cache complete movie files from an Unraid NAS to my Plex Machine? I'm having issues with my Unraid NAS, HDD I/O is my bottleneck currently. If multiple users start streaming different movies from the same HDD on my NAS, it maxes out the I/O and stutters.

Ideally, when a user starts streaming a movie, it would copy over the full movie to my Plex Machine's NVME SSD and stream from there. Is this possible with rclone?

Other information: Both machines on my local home network. I've run into this I/O issue with a single local 4K direct stream and 1 1080p remote stream. I've tried looking and search for the solution but can't find this explicit or similar question. Apologies if I overlooked a previous answer.

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

The plex machine is a dedicated ubuntu build. (64bit, 32GB ram, 500GB NVME, 10Gbe).

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

A local Unraid NAS, not cloud-based. (64bit, 256GB ram, 500GB NVME, 10Gbe, 50TB HDDs)

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Denis

I don't think that's how the cache works. The cache would help if multiple people are streaming the same movie. Cache will cache segments of the data as they are read so that if they are called to be read again, they will be there.

Do you think something like this would something possible with rclone cache?

Is it possible to adjust the buffer or cache size per file to 20GB? And then essentially, the entire movie would be available through rclone cache? That way Plex wouldn't have to access the NAS Again?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.