Bwlimit on local FS

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

when using rclone to copy files locally the bwlimit is ignored. is this working as expected or a bug?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

rclone v1.61

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

restic backup -o rclone.args=serve restic --retries 1 --multi-thread-streams 0 --transfers 1 --stdio -vv -r rclone:local:/mnt/fs1/backups/ /mnt/source/docs/

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[local]
type = local

A log from the command with the -vv flag

rclone: 2023/01/28 12:12:31 DEBUG : Setting --user-agent "chrome" from environment variable RCLONE_USER_AGENT="chrome"
rclone: 2023/01/28 12:12:31 DEBUG : Setting --bwlimit "700Ki" from environment variable RCLONE_BWLIMIT="700k"
rclone: 2023/01/28 12:12:31 INFO  : Starting bandwidth limiter at 700Ki Byte/s
[...]

My mistake as there are bwlimits on local as I didn't think that was a thing.

Hmm interesting.

An rclone copy from local to local will obey the bandwidth limit.

There are 3 bandwidth limiters in rclone, one for transmit one for receive and a core limiter.

The transmit and receive limiters are always engaged but only limit http client traffic.

The core limiter limits the other protocols and I guess this isn't being engaged for restic serve

This is probably an oversight in the restic serve code. It probably means the stats don't work for restic serve too. If you add -v does it show stats every minute with sensible numbers?

stats are fine, and i found my error.
due to the fact that bitrix is not working yet i decided to move back to davfs2. this works. but i was fooled by my system with showed uploads greater than 700KiB/s, although restic was actually throttled. the reason was another filesystem activity which led to higher uploads than expected.
so restic works fine. no, not only fine, it works great!!!
sorry for inconvenience!
regards,
andre

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.