Box mount is very slow

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Mounting Box.com drive to Ubuntu 20.04 creates a very slow mount. Writing a text file (1-10kb) takes around 2-3 seconds. Reading pdf files (1-2mb) take around 20 seconds.

This does not happen in my windows 10 PC where I use box drive software to read and write files at speeds closer to my hard-disk. which means this is not a network related issue and probably a miss--configured rclone on my side.

I considered this might have something to do with write size, of caching, but I'm at lost right here.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone 1.54.1

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 20.04 64bit

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Box

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount -vv remote:/Documents /home/mattan/Box --daemon

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[remote]
type = box
token = {"access_token":"}

hello,

add a vfs cache mode, either writes or full
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/#vfs-file-caching

Hey, thanks,
I'm using

rclone mount remote:/Documents /home/mattan/Box --vfs-cache-mode full --daemon 

It did seem to have a slight improvements on write operations, but read operations are still very slow. and write operation still seem to lag sometimes.

Any other options ?

well, without more testing, not sure if that is true. could be issues with linux box.
can you test the same rclone mount command on windows, we would have a better baseline?

i run rclone mount on win10 using the same command.
for editing a text file and for opening a pdf, near native speeds, really super fast.

Before I try to setup rclone on my windows, will a web interface test suffice to make sure this is not a network related issue ?
(forgot to quote in my last response, sorry.)

not sure what you mean. the rclone web interface? i never used it.

you are comparing a win10 running proprietary closed-source box software with rclone mount on another computer running linux.
apples vs oranges.

i was suggesting to compare win10 box versus win10 rclone.
running the same exact rclone command from the linux machine.

Thank you so much for taking your time to address this, and sorry for my english :slight_smile:
I meant the box.com web interface, which would mean same linux machine just different api I guess.

no, that would not be the same.

you are trying to compare win10 running box app versus linux running rclone mount on different hardware.
that is not a valid comparison.

so on windows, need to compare
rclone mount versus box app

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.