Best VPS for Plex?

IMHO Encryption is a must on cloud storage

Encryption, more control over system. I have both running and i can tell you that Plex Cloud is often missing content i added because the system goes into idle when it is not used constantly compared to my dedicated server. Plex Cloud is for the non techy people that want a cloud solution to share with a small group of people like family.

1 Like

Doing some test with scaleway at the moment, looks pretty solid.

the 3ā‚¬/month starter vps (vc1s) cloud does the job, it wonā€™t transcode though. Iā€™m going with this one for the moment as I like to optimize my file before sending it to ACD using rclone so all my movies are playing fine even if plex canā€™t transcode it (x264 and aac, mp4 or mkv doesnā€™t matter it will direct stream anyway) and thatā€™s exactly what I was looking for (never found the option to forbid transcode on plexā€¦) and the 200m Unmetered bandwidth is sweet for multi user.

The 12ā‚¬/month bare metal vps (dedicated cpu C2S) is able to transcode up to 3 devices of mine at the same time (low rez though, havenā€™t tried with 3x1080p) 300m Unmetered bandwidth with it, good stuff.

Once Iā€™ll be done uploading my 6TB of holiday movies to ACD Iā€™ll try with their arm server. Not sure itā€™ll be able to transcode at allā€¦

Have you guys tried hyperexpert.com?

scaleway.com
NL location

Where are they located? Does it support FUSE?

Seattle, WA, and Yes, its KVM not containers so you can do whatever you want with it, including FUSE, you can even update your kernel, or use any custom one. For $2.50 a month, doesnā€™t hurt to try :slight_smile:

Another vote for Hetzner (via auction) here. Cheap for what it is, which is a dedicated server rather than a VPS. Enough horsepower, RAM, and bandwidth for multiple simultaneous transcodes.

very pleased with https://thuemaychuao.net/

Netcup.de seems to offer some decent specs;

Some vouchers here for 5euro off

36nc15102270180
36nc15102270181
36nc15102270182
36nc15102270183
36nc15102270184
36nc15102270185
36nc15102270186
36nc15102270187
36nc15102270188
36nc15102270189

Iā€™m also looking for a VPS to setup my Plex.
Should I look for dedicated CPUs or vCPUs can work too? If so how many do I need?
Are 4 enough?

I want my Plex to be able to serve up to 2 users (Europe).
Most of my files are 1080p with high bitrate (>8 Mbits).

Are there any other system requirements that I should check for?

Is it possible to find a server for less than $20/mo?

i am very happy with a ā€œRS 1000 G7 SEā€ kvm root server instance from netcup , currently at 7ā‚¬/mo. Depending on your transcoding needs this might be a little bit too small, and you should look at the ā€œRS 2000ā€

1 Like

netcup is very interesting. Anyone knows how much bandwidth (speed and month limit) is assigned to this servers RS 4000 SSD G7SEa1?

Thanks!

iā€™m using at OVH. But u can choose at Ramnode. You can read more about Ramnode here https://easypromocode.com/ramnode-coupon-codes/

what about bytesized hosting? they dont allow root access but it seems they support many things ā€¦ i want to try it but i only want to pay 5 eur not 15 :slight_smile:

I use bytesized hosting for 3 monthā€¦ it works goodā€¦ not perfect but the support is goodā€¦