Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

Interesting info, I hope @ncw will figure it out.

Need to check the timeouts as well as with watching movies you may pause it for 20, 30 minutes and once plex stop buffering it a bit in advance the connection will be closed by rclone. ( anyone tested that ? )

You didn’t used to be able to download files bigger than 10GB without the templink threshold. It would be an interesting experiment to see if that now works - set --acd-templink-threshold 1000GB then see if you can download/play a file bigger than 10GB. If that works then I might take the templink stuff out.

If you can get it to work without the templink for files > 10GB it uses less http transactions so should be quicker.

Ok i tested it and once you hit --acd-templink-threshold 15GB it stops working ther errors

2016/12/02 10:44:19 pacer: low level retry 10/10 (error HTTP code 400: "400 Bad Request": response body: "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"UTF-8\"?>\n<Error><Code>InvalidArgument</Code><Message>Only one auth mechanism allowed; only the X-Amz-Algorithm query parameter, Signature query string parameter or the Authorization header should be specified</Message><ArgumentName>Authorization</ArgumentName><ArgumentValue>Bearer ****</HostId></Error>")
–acd-templink-threshold 14GB works.

What does the --acd-templink-threshold do ?

Even with 14G that still worked the moving movie forward does not work eg timesout most of times.

Update

tested with –acd-templink-threshold 0 and it setting movie to the middle works much better
( need to do more tests )

Current production mount options
rclone mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --read-only --max-read-ahead 14G --acd-templink-threshold 0 acd:/ /storage/.acd/ &

How does the --max-read-ahead works I mean is it worth setting it as the maximum your video file size is ?

OK that error is interesting, that kind of indicates that it was going to work but didn’t because of auth issues. I’ve fixed that exact auth issue before so I know what is going on.

It requests a download link for the object rather than trying to download it via ACD directly. You used to have to do this for objects over 10GB.

That means you will always use the temporary download link.

I think the kernel caps the max read ahead to 128k so setting it really big won’t help. If it did work then you don’t want to use 14G of memory so I don’t recommend you set it that high!

It seems it work faster with temp link as when I set it to 14GB and watched a movie I could not set forward in the movie as it just time out while with temp link 0 it worked.

@ncw Any chance you add option so we can set how much concurrent buffering we want that you have in this version.

Made new test without plex, direct play with windows BSPlayer over samba mount.

Video size 14.8G
Mount with treshold 14GB ( video is bigger but with 15GB I get those errors) with:
rclone mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --read-only --max-read-ahead 14G --acd-templink-threshold 14G acd:/ /storage/.acd/

compared treshold 0GB
rclone mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --read-only --max-read-ahead 14G --acd-templink-threshold 0 acd:/ /storage/.acd/

What’s the result for playing video < 14GB? Because with the above settings I think you’ll be downloading via a templink for both setup.

@ladude626 yea it was templink ( btw iam not so sure its actually slower with templink )

I’m also keenly interested in this topic. I can’t get any files to work reliably (or at all mostly) with any settings (Google Drive and ACD) given your success though I imagine this is because I am attempting 25-40GB files.

I may have spoken too soon, for some reason any mount command to that directory would appear to work but not actually work. I restarted the server and now it mounts fine and files are actually playing. I think the issue was I hammered the hell out of the mount before while Plex scanned and added a couple thousand files on the mount.

@Trentflix are you using this version http://pub.rclone.org/v1.34-39-g7be5724-fuse-bufferβ/

I have files 24GB as well and so far so good, but there is something with Plex as well, if I play video file directly with media player it will work much much faster then plex ( original no transcoding)

p.s. Are you keeping plex files (db and metadata) on clould as well ? ( I have those locally and only video files & subs on cloud )

I’m still testing out rclone crypt mount for Plex. With the latest beta ( http://beta.rclone.org/v1.34-51-gcb9f1ee/ ). Playback has been very unpredictable. Seems large videos (>10GB) play very reliably (video starts in 4-5s) but smaller files (5-6GB) are slower to start or wouldn’t play at all. This is even with setting “–acd-templink-threshold 0”. Will continue to test for now.

Of note, I think there’s a bug in Plex. When you first add a video to Plex, the video will not play and you’ll get an error if the video hasn’t been “analyzed” yet. You’ll notice this when there is a “none” under audio when you open the video detail page. Once the video is analyzed the video will play normally.

@Ajki I’m having a lot of the same problems you had, what’s your current rclone command line and system tweaks if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve got --allow-other --read-only --max-read-ahead=1G --acd-templink-threshold=0 --dir-cache-time=60m currently. Seems a bit better but two concurrent streams from acd not even the same file creates a lot of issues for me.

Still same
rclone mount --allow-non-empty --allow-other --read-only --max-read-ahead 14G --acd-templink-threshold 0 acd:/ /storage/.acd/

This is the stats from last 10 days since i use rclone mount.

I think you need to check your plex settings as well, the real eye opener for me wa when I setup virtualbox machine on my pc and made samba access to unencrypted drive - then tested the speed with windows player. ( not everything is in rclone )

Plex settings:

@ncw any chance to have --dir-cache-time=60m cashing existing folder and still separate setting to check for new ones ?

Better yet, have a feature to rescan the volume and produce a cache on an interval simply have rclone not drop that current cache until the new one is finished scanning so you never end up with a out of date cache based on the interval you’ve selected. Specify a interval and you’re done.

@Ajki Thanks for that, changed my Plex settings I’ll see how it goes. Any other system level changes worth making I saw you mentioned a few at first. Did they help at all?
I use a unionfs and store things for 7 days, but push every hour or so with a cron so the cache 60m works well for me.

What do you mean by push? What is it doing and how does it help? I’m just trying to understand.