Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

Ajki which server you have and from which provider? Are you on hetzner?

Quick question. Has anyone tried mounting without ā€œā€“acd-templink-threshold 0ā€ recently? Or are we just assuming that this is still optimal?

I use to have it on Hetnzer now I have my own server.

The reason I started to mount it with it is so all files transfers are consistent as above 15GB all content is served with templinks.

I havenā€™t seen any perceptible difference with or without it. So my philosophy is to keep the mount command as simple as possible and only with the necessary.

Did someone test OverlayFS btw? I noticed a lot of timeouts and other errors when analyzing traffic with perf when using union. Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s a lot of performance to be gained by switching to something else.

For reading eg plex usage you wont see much difference local or unionfs, however for write maybe OverlayFS is faster.

OverlayFS is faster since itā€™s baked into the kernel but I found it unstable for some reason and you need to be root to mount it, itā€™s hard to keep things compartmentalized that way. unionfs fits well.

Does anyone know of any settings that can be adjusted to stop Plex from getting stuck buffering or losing connection after the video has been paused for awhile? Using the PlexACD rclone+ACD+EncFS+UnionFS setup.

It seems that the client will play for the remainder of either the local or the serverā€™s transcoding buffer and then realize that there is no more data and then get stuck trying to connect to ACD again and seek to the right part of the file, which usually either results in a painfully long wait or the client will simply boot them back to the menu or to the next show in the queue.

Iā€™ve extended the transcoder throttle buffer to 600 seconds, but Iā€™m hearing from family and friends that itā€™s still buffering, so it seems like Plex isnā€™t actually filling the buffer after a pause until itā€™s too late, from what I gather.

Thanks!

On a somewhat unrelated note; Iā€™ve had nothing but trouble on PMS 1.4.x. Buffering streams, plus soft subs did not work anymore on a lot of devices while directstreaming, forcing me to transcode everything.

Reverted back to the public 1.3.4 release and life is good again.

Someone use plex + acd for music?
With my mount point Itā€™s too slow to start
sudo /usr/sbin/rclone mount --umask 0 --allow-non-empty --allow-other --buffer-size 1G --max-read-ahead 200M acd_crypt:/ /home/media &

For a film 10 second to start is an acceptable time but not for music.
Someone have any experience?

Have you tried a simpeler mount? Without buffer-size and max-read-ahead and all? If that works better you could opt for a different (second) mount just for audio.

Do you guys find starting videos is just super spotty? Some times itā€™ll work, sometimes it wonā€™t? There never seems to be any stability.

Sometimes I have to start something a second time before itā€™ll run, but those times are rare. Iā€™d sayā€¦ 1 in 40?
Where are you running your server?

Have tried without success.

all my video start in 8 - 15 sec. The same with the music.

How about just running it on local storage then. And script a backup copy to ACD. Or is your audio library much bigger then what you have available locally?

Germany, Hetzner server, connecting to Amazon Drive EU. Itā€™s a very beefy server too with a 1Gbps dedicated line and 250+MB)s Read/Write on my drives.

The Plex server reads from a unionfs mount connecting a local directory and the Amazon Drive mount.

Everything on the drive has analysis data so I donā€™t really know what more I can do. Iā€™m even using the RAM as the temporary directory for transcoding

My audio library is 3 albums. 2 of them are local and 1 in acd.
the local album play immediately.
for the acd album, if i play the entire album, the first track start in 10/15 s and the following track start immediately. If i play the single song, it takes 10/15 s for each song.

There seems to be serious issues with music in latest versions of Plex. A lot of people are having extremely slow starts for music.

With amazon Cloud? I havenā€™t problem for local music

Amazon cloud only. Local music it works fine. It worked fine when I first setup Amazon Cloud /w Music, but recent builds on Plex made the delay so long it is impractical for music. In fact, most of the time movies start faster than music which makes no sense.