Best mount settings for streaming ( Plex )

Will try this when on crypt, tnx. Gonna take a while, reuploading @ 32mbit…

You could use cheap scaleway vps or 3€ per month and will get from 200 to 500Mbit speeds.

Then there might be something wrong with my unions fuse installation

Here a re some quick tests I did to measure the speed with a 1gb file.

Opening file from rclone acd crypt mount

dd if=1gb.file of=/dev/null
2097152+0 records in
2097152+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 134.034 s, 8.0 MB/s

Open it from from unionfs fuse (file isn’t available locally)

2097152+0 records in
2097152+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 271.506 s, 4.0 MB/s

If the file is available on my local drive unionfs works fine

2097152+0 records in
2097152+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.96723 s, 120 MB/s

I can notice difference in Plex playback a lot

Lots of good advice here and I see scaleway being recommended often. Which is better the BareMetal with arm processors or the Starter Cloud with x86? Both are €3

x86 will perform better than ARM

1 Like

Tried that, gave too many errors, somehow decrypting encfs and uploading to rclone was too much to handle. Downloaded my library locally, and now uploading just fine. Shit happens, right?

Hmm weird I copied a lot using it, however you need to limit transfers to 2 or 3 due lack of ram on that VPS,

Yeah, finally just gave up the Scaleway server. It’s just a one time thing anyway, so i’ll just abuse my homeline.
Are you still using latest rclone beta btw? And if so, have you noticed any improvements from latest stable release?

Iam and no not really, lately performance is behaving quite spastic.

Uh-oh… hopefully not a result of crypt?

I’m having unpredictable buffering via rclone/crypt on ACD via plex, trying to rule out if it’s crypt, rclone or Plex itself right now, though it could just be certain EC2 nodes are being slow and causing a stall. Trying to work it out now but the intermittent buffering makes it hard to watch anything.

The best way is to test, since when i was checking server of some friend he had terrible performace due low speeds to acd.

Use this script to check single file copy from acd to local

His average speed was bellow 1MB and it that case you will buffer like crazy.

I think it’s just bottleneck at ACD.
I had a copy of 4 files and 3 were running at 4MB/sec and one at 35MB/sec…

So probably some node is jammed. Maybe if you test same file multiple times to see if you get better performance at some ACD IP points…

Yeah was going to try different files and compare perception performance and buffering with the iftop reported ec2 node, but in the meantime I’m setting up a shadow encfs mount to compare directly.
Though if it is the node not the mount/encryption schema then I’ll have not proved anything because a duff node could happen to either side.

This. This is what I want to do. Would you be open to sharing such scripts. They are beyond me, but I have enough local space on my Hetzner box for a month of movies before dealing with ACD.

EDIT: Answering my own question; you have already shared, found in another thread.
https://github.com/jaketame/scripts/

Thanks, they will be very useful!

No worries. Let me know if you have any issues.

That looks amazingly organized :wink:
Could you please tell me how many concurrent streams have you been able to play?
I am planning to get the same VPS for family and friends (about 10 people), but I don’t know if it would enough and the same for traffic (30tb), my average size for Movies is between 4gb (60%) and 20gb (40%) and for Shows are about 1gb/episode.
For managing downloads and uploads to cloud I am using another cheap VPS that I would keep to avoid using traffic on the main PMS VPS.

Regards

@Ajki you might be able to answer :blush:

You should be fine, I have quite a lot of streams ( In February 156 tv shows watched and 54 movies )

But if you plan to have it as main download/upload server well thats another story

My Plex server is just that nothing else is happening on it.

Thanks for your prompt answer, I am planning to keep my other VPS to do so.
Just wondering if could handle let’s say 5 concurrent streams, some of them transcoding.

So far the maximum amount of concurrent streams i had was 17 but back then I was still on ENCFS encryption, with crypt i think the max was 14 out of only 2 were direct play/stream and the rest were being transcoded.

p.s. It still worked fine, rclone wise I never notice any problems with multiple streams as it will open as many connections as it needs.