Backup like macOS Timemachine?

Is there any guide to make backups like Timemachine?
I'm trying to copy home folders to cloud storage and put removed/changed files to timestamp folder.

hi,
i use this technique in my scripts, forever forward incremental backups
a simplied example is

rclone sync /home/user01/dir remote:current --backup-dir=remote:incrementals/`date +%Y%m%d.%I%M%S` -vv

the script produces this command and then run it

c:\data\rclone\rclone.exe copy "c:\users\user01\AppData\Local\Temp\kdbx\back\temp\zip\kdbx.20220704.184351.7z" "wasabi_en07:kdbx/zip/backup" --backup-dir="wasabi_en07:kdbx/zip/archive/20220704.184351" --immutable --stats=5h --fast-list --s3-no-check-bucket=true  --ask-password --config="C:\data\rclone\rclone.conf" --log-level=DEBUG --log-file="C:\data\rclone\logs\kdbx_zip_wasabi\20220704.184351\rclone.log"

You can do backups with rclone but it won’t be like TimeMachine. TimeMachine makes it look like full snapshots by using hard links. No such thing exists on the cloud. But you can use something like restic (either directly or through rclone) to make snapshots. They work differently under the hood but the effect is the same

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.