Backup all files and folders for each user account in our gsuite subscription

Hi,

First of all, thank you very much for this great tool. Rclone helped us a lot to migrate thousands of files and hundreds of GB to GSuite, the entire company files.

Now we need some features not present in Google Vault, the file recovery tool in GSuite.

The most important feature we miss by now, is a way to got a backup on a specific point of time with the full folder hierarchy. And here comes our question: it's possible to backup all files and folders for each user account in our gsuite subscription? including team drives?

Hooray :smiley:

It would be worth you investigating the --backup-dir flag which you can use to make dated backups.

Back them up where to?

I think yes is the answer, with a service account and backing them up one at a time with --drive-impersonate.

Thank's for your reply ncw.

In this point I was talking about a missing feature in Google Vault, not in rclone, but we take a look a --backup-dir flag

Backup them to a local storage (or server) inside our company.

As I understand, with --drive-impersonate we can access to all accounts, but one by one, and if we add or remove an account we need to modify our script. Right? If yes, isn't a perfect solution, but a good starting point.

Really thank's

I'm not familiar with Google Vault - how does that work?

Yes that is my understanding of how it works. I don't think you can make an super admin to access everything everywhere (but I may be wrong about that).

Extracted from google site...

Google Vault lets you retain, hold, search, and export data to support your organization’s archiving and eDiscovery needs. Vault supports:

* Gmail messages
* Chats in classic Hangouts with history turned on and Google Talk chats that are on the record
* Google Groups
* Files in Google Drive
* Conversations in Hangouts Chat with history turned on.
* Recordings in Hangouts Meet

But Google Vault can only recover files if you remember the name of that file. In addition, cannot recover folders hierarchy. Google vault becomes useless for us and for that reason we need a way to make a backup (snapshot) of all our files and folders in our gsuite accounts one or two times per year.

Ok thank's again! We investigate a little more.

By now, I mark the topic as closed.

1 Like

I can't find a way to mark as closed :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.