Any working solution for long filenames with crypt and chunker?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

vfs cache: failed to transfer file from cache to remote: add file error 8

Pretty sure that long filenames are the culprit, I "wrap" chunker into crypt on the Mail.ru cloud, the cloud does support long file- and path-names. I couldn't find a workaround yet, but one post contained a reply suggesting wrapping the other way around (crypt INSIDE chunker), I did already have the same problems with crypt only, though. I also saw mentions of stuff like cryptomator and cryfs in another topic, but someone said there that there would be pitfalls, without explaining, which ones exactly. I won't mind using one of those inside the mounted cloud, if there are no known problems at the moment. I would definitely prefer using rclone and (if still necessary for files over the size limit) chunker instead the official Disk:O app, which is a no-go for me at the moment. I couldn't find alternatives to rclone and Disk:O for mail.ru. Though there was a Total Commander plugin that worked for me months ago; it had issues, but those 3rd-party cryptoFS wrappers might actually solve them, if they'd work...

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.58.0
- os/version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 10.0.19044.1682 (x86_64)
- os/type: windows
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.8
- go/linking: dynamic
- go/tags: cmount

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Mail.ru

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount pt-mru-enc-chunk: P: --vfs-cache-mode full --cache-dir "O:\.rclone-cache" --stats-file-name-length 0

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[pt-mru]
type = mailru
user = pt###@mail.ru
pass = *** ENCRYPTED ***
speedup_enable = false
speedup_max_disk = 0
token = {"access_token":"###"}

[pt-mru-enc]
type = crypt
remote = pt-mru:enc
password = *** ENCRYPTED ***
password2 = *** ENCRYPTED ***
server_side_across_configs = true
filename_encoding = base32768

[pt-mru-enc-chunk]
type = chunker
remote = pt-mru-enc:chunk
chunk_size = 1.758Gi
hash_type = md5all
transactions = norename

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Log on controlc.com

What is the longest file name you can get with this? It might be worth trying some of the other modes?

Try this to find out

rclone test info --check-length pt-mru-enc:deleteme

Then delete that directory afterwards

rclone purge pt-mru-enc:deleteme

2022/04/30 14:25:50 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 513
2022/04/30 14:25:50 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 257
2022/04/30 14:25:50 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 129
// pt-mru-enc
maxFileLength = 143

If there's a norename option for chunker and a metadata file is kept, why wasn't keeping names in the metadata file and making unique short names for each file to be stored in parent filesystem implemented? I saw discussion about that very type of idea from years ago...

I do often have very long paths and filenames, for me to understand the differences between project versions and generally to keep a good overview (keywords to be found by the Everything app if I search for certain types of files/dirs, for example). And some stuff in my sample/instrument libraries came this way, I preferred so far to keep directory clones instead of archives for the case of data corruption and because I used Disk:O before and couldn't upload original archives over 2GB per file. If one already has 2 free 1TB clouds, one wants to properly use them... :slight_smile:

Oh... I didn't notice you telling me to do tests with different modes...

base64:

2022/04/30 16:55:39 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 513
2022/04/30 16:55:39 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 257
2022/04/30 16:55:39 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 129
// pt-mru-enc
maxFileLength = 175

base32:

C:\soft\rclone>rclone test info --check-length pt-mru-enc:deleteme
2022/04/30 17:00:35 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 513
2022/04/30 17:00:35 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 257
2022/04/30 17:00:35 EME operates on 1 to 128 block-cipher blocks, you passed 129
// pt-mru-enc
maxFileLength = 143

175 is better, but still not enough, 255 for the leaf might be enough for now, but I would prefer limits set by Windows 10 ("hardly any" :wink: ).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.