Any way around "fusermount: option allow_other only allowed if 'user_allow_other' is set in /etc/fuse.conf"

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I'm using a shared seedbox and need to use the --allow-other flag with my rclone mount however I don't have access to /etc/fuse.conf. Is there some way I can use a local conf file?

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.52.1-145-g4d9ad98a-vfs-beta

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

os/arch: linux/amd64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Team Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount remote:path/to/files /path/to/local/mount --allow-other

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[download-a]
type = drive
team_drive = 01LNBa0DBHhlLPk9XVQ
scope = drive
token = {"access_token":"hunter2"}

[download-a-crypt]
type = crypt
remote = download-a:
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = hunter2
password2 = hunter2

A log from the command with the -vv flag

fusermount: option allow_other only allowed if 'user_allow_other' is set in /etc/fuse.conf

You really, really don't want to use allow_other on a shared seedbox as everyone can see your files, which is why they don't have it on.

If you remove allow-other, it lets only the user that ran the process read the files, which is what you want.

Fair enough, I have some issues with other processes not viewing my mount. I guess I'll try another approach

Are those processes running as a different user? Another user will not be able to see any fuse mount without allow_other.

Yeah unfortunately. Just for interests sake though, do you know of a way to run fuse with a local fuse.conf?

The allow_other uses some root level stuff to make it accessible to other users. I'm not aware of any way to circumvent that and share it to another user.

Assuming you trust that other user (if you were giving them access), they could just mount it up as well.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.