Any good workarounds for `teamDriveHierarchyTooDeep`?

I don't mind flattening dirnames if needed. Plus points if it is reversible, like .rclonelink

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I get teamDriveHierarchyTooDeep when syncing local: to gdrive:

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.57.0
- os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 5.4.0-104-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.17.2
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

This is documented in the shared drive docs

Folder limits

A folder in a shared drive can support up to 20 levels of nested folders.

We do not recommend creating a large number of folders in one shared drive. Users might have difficulty organizing and finding content. Instead, you can organize content into multiple shared drives.

You could work around like this. Assuming you are syncing to a top level folder called backup. When you hit this limit, you could create a shortcut back to another top level folder called deepfolder1. Repeat for any other deep folders.

I think this will work...

PS 20 folders is really deep. Even I don't have any of those and I have the messiest file system you could possibly imagine!

Yea, It's a filesystem within a fs within a fs...

{root}/{rcloneroot}/hostname/AppData/Local/Packages/CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_7redactedjustincasegsc/LocalState/rootfs/usr/share/go-1.13/src/cmd/vendor/golang.org/x/tools/go/analysis/passes/loopclosure

I guess I'll stick with restic (con: zfs snapshots on local and remote get complicated, it's then actually nested 'fs'-es, not just folders representing them).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.