All files get deleted

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

After i select sync remote to local, and select internal storage (/storage/emulated/0), then after the files from cloud success transfer, other files get deleted!!
Now i didn't restart my phone
Where all my files go?? Is there any way can bring it back??

Sorry i'm new to this app

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Yes

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Android 10

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Dropbox

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

I don't understand

Paste command here

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

Paste config here

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Paste  log here

I'm really sorry to hear that. The sync command is a known footgun for new users. In rclone, sync means "make the target the same as the source", deleting and overwriting files.

It's okay, i try to learn and recover by third party app

Also i suggest added a "warning" before some beginner like me doing that. It is very dangerous

It's a very debatable topic as lots of things are dangerous if the wrong things are run with many tools.

Check out:

https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_sync/

As it gives some warnings and suggestions.

I think that "regular" rclone having powerful and even destructive features is completely fine.

Just to clarify why I'm taking this seriously: the details provided by the user indicate that this may have happened with RCX on Android. There, the issue is both easier to stumble upon and pretty much impossible to recover from. And since RCX only needs to care about its human interface, I think there are some changes that can be made there.rcx #161

1 Like

Strangely enough rclone sync ~/emptydir targetdir [1] happens to be my favourite way of cleaning up directories used as ad-hoc workplace for all kind of messy stuff: It's perceptibly faster than rsync -r --delete ~/emptydir/ targetdir (not to mention rm -rf targetdir/*, which is still slower and bails out in case too many files are in the top level)

[1] always keep this empty directory sitting in my ~. For some time in the past I even had defined an alias rre='rclone sync ~/emptydir'

xkcd applies again and again :no_mouth:

Little tip for the new time : always run your command with --dry-run beforehand. This will show you what RClone is going to do, and as such will help you avoiding to lose data :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.