ACD BAN/Alternatives discussion (error HTTP code 429)

When you ssh into the VM you’ll be in your home folder. Before you do anything it is highly recommended to run byobu (then Enter). This will keep the session alive even if you lose connection to the terminal/reboot etc. It will allow you to create multiple screens (like tabs) that you can flip through in the same terminal. This will also come in handy when you come to start pulling down the ACD content since you can run multiple instances at once via different screens. If you ever close the terminal window (or putty etc), run byobu as soon as you log back in and it’ll pull up the screens you had before you left.

In byobu, Ctrl+A, C creates a new tab and Ctrl+A, N cycles through them (next) or Ctrl+A, P to cycle back. When you create your first screen it’ll ask you to choose a type (just pick 1). When you start syncing/downloading it will tie up the screen you’re using so having multiple tabs is very very useful so you can run other commands (check d/l speeds/monitor disk usage).

The attached disk should be /dev/sdb. You can run sudo parted -l to verify.

First run sudo parted -s -a optimal /dev/sdb mklabel gpt -- mkpart primary ext4 1 -1. That will write the GPT so you can bypass the 2TB limit and create a primary partition that spans the whole disk.

Next, you need to run sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 to make the filesystem.

Now you should be able to mount the disk. Since the default location for the odrive mount is a folder called odrive-agent-mount in your home folder, we’ll stick to that. Run mkdir odrive-agent-mount to create it.

Finally, mount the attached disk to that location with sudo mount /dev/sdb1 ~/odrive-agent-mount.

You can run sudo parted -l again to see the disk info. The partition table should show gpt.

Now you can go ahead and install the sync agent (likely the 64bit version). After install, run nohup "$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odriveagent" > /dev/null 2>&1 &. If it doesn’t launch properly then you’ve likely installed the wrong variant (32/64).

You can now skip down to here. You only need to do the first 4 steps. For the fourth step, you don’t need to make the mount directory since we’ve already done that. Just skip that and do the mounting part.

Before you start any syncing, if you have folders with lots of small files (ROMs, comics, music files), they can be pretty slow to sync. If you have another way to upload those then you might want to do so to speed up the odrive sync/downloading. I found that I was able to download about 10 times as much when pulling down Films/TV as I was when it was downloading lots of small files.

So, if you have them stored elsewhere and don’t mind deleting them from ACD, I would do so. If you want to keep them on ACD but don’t want to download them to the VM, just go through the sync stage (next paragraph) but cd into the ~/odrive-agent-mount/Amazon Cloud Drive folder and delete any folders there you want to skip. I just went into that folder and ran rm -rf Comics and rm -rf Music to delete those two folders so they wouldn’t be pulled down.

From there you can start with Philip’s info (post #525) to sync the folder structures/placeholders. Depending on the amount of folders/depths this could take a while (took about an hour for me at 9.6TB and quote a number of nested folders/files, like comics/roms etc).

Once they’ve all synced you can run that find ~/odrive-agent-mount/ -type f -name "*.cloud" -exec python "$HOME/.odrive-agent/bin/odrive.py" sync {} \; command shown at the bottom of his post. You can have multiple instances of this running (just Ctrl+A, C to create a new tab) and run it there too. I used 4 at once although how many is optimal I couldn’t say. You probably want 2 at least.

2 Likes