Accidently deleted files in Rclone - Google Drive

So I did something really stupid, completely my fault but now I am a bit confused.

I had rclone mounted to a random folder for some reason, I ran rm -rf on that folder to remove it but after it hung I realised something was wrong. I now have a folder inside my rclone crypt with A-C and numbered folders missing/deleted.

The weird thing is, I can see a lot of directories in my Google Drive trash (all scrambled as it's a crypt remote), and I can select all of these and restore, be shown 'files restored' but this doesn't reflect in rclone.

If I wait a few hours, all those files/folders are in my Google Drive trash again. I know it's the same files as the date is correct for the deletion.

Is there a reason Google Drive restore would be bugged like this?

I have also tried the backend untrash but I understand there is some limitations to doing this with a crypt backend, as I am unable to run the command successfully, I get Failed to backend: command "untrash" failed: command not found

Now, I can see the missing directories and files if I clone the mount and add '--drive-trashed-only'. Is my only way to successfully restore the files to copy between these mounts? I'd like to avoid that as I'll be pulling things to my local machine and uploading again.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.60.0

• os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.4.0-131-generic (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.19.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Thanks all :slight_smile:

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone backend untrash <crypt-dir>:<folder-with-missing-files> -i

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[<REMOTE>]
type = drive
client_id = <CLIENT-ID>.apps.googleusercontent.com
client_secret = <SECRET>
scope = drive
root_folder_id = 1PknB8c-fLAjuNd63hfy2rcFEGeZcddwT
token = TOKEN

[<REMOTE>-crypt]
type = crypt
remote = <REMOTE>:/media
filename_encryption = standard
directory_name_encryption = true
password = PASSWORD
password2 = PASSWORD2

Very old version of rclone so you want to update it.

Hard to give info as you missed all the details in the help and support template :frowning:

Thanks, I forget the repo version is old. I have updated rclone now to v1.60.0

Apologies for the lack of template, I didn't think the config was important for this but I have filled it in now.

The backend command wants the remote name in it.

rclone lsd --drive-trashed-only <REMOTE>:
rclone backend untrash <REMOTE>:<items from above command>

Sorry, that was what I was doing, just bad wording on my behalf. for I did mean the encrypted remote.

rclone backend untrash <REMOTE-CRYPT>:<Folder>/"<Folder with spaces and brackets>" -i
2022/11/14 12:46:32 Failed to backend: command "untrash" failed: command not found

If I take the command to the most basic form without any folders and just the remote, I still get that error:

rclone backend untrash <REMOTE-CRYPT>: -i
2022/11/14 12:49:13 Failed to backend: command "untrash" failed: command not found

You need to use the drive remote, not the crypt remote as shown above.

felix@gemini:~$ rclone backend untrash gcrypt: -i
2022/11/14 07:50:37 Failed to backend: command "untrash" failed: command not found
felix@gemini:~$ rclone backend untrash GD: -i
rclone: restore "testuntrash"?
y) Yes, this is OK (default)
n) No, skip this
s) Skip all restore operations with no more questions
!) Do all restore operations with no more questions
q) Exit rclone now.
y/n/s/!/q> n
2022/11/14 07:50:48 NOTICE: testuntrash: Skipped restore as --interactive is set
rclone: restore "testmove"?
y) Yes, this is OK (default)
n) No, skip this
s) Skip all restore operations with no more questions
!) Do all restore operations with no more questions
q) Exit rclone now.
y/n/s/!/q> q
2022/11/14 07:50:50 NOTICE: Quitting rclone now

Okay thanks, this seems to be my issue. I have run the command but I think there is just too much in there because it has now hung.

I have managed to untrash some files via the google UI though by doing a much smaller selection, I think selecting all seems to be tripping something up. I used decode to check the filename and verified it is now available.

I'll wait to see if the untrash comes back with anything, but I assume these will all be encrypted filenames so pretty hard to work with.

Thanks for your help so far!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.