4k Transcoding issues in GDrive

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I am having problems playing 4k files locally, I do not want to create a separate directory to transcoded versions of the 4k files. I just want everything to play how it is and I am sure I can do that, just not sure what's up

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run

rclone cmount -vvv --vfs-cache-mode full GDrive: /Users/Gcache/GDrive

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[GDrive]

type = drive

client_id =

client_secret =

scope = drive

token =

root_folder_id =

[Mega]

type = mega

user =

pass =

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Assuming you have the bandwidth, it's most likely not a rclone issue:

You need something beefy or something that does some decent hardware transcoding.

Even if I am using vfs it won't matter? I have a gig up and gig down connection so I know that's not it, more of a GPU/CPU problem?

Check the link I shared as that gives you some rough ideas on what's needed to transcode 4K.

You could have local storage and if you have an under powered CPU, it's going to stutter

Nothing rclone can do to fix that.

I gotcha, I just wanted to confirm nothing on the rclone side before I made the purchase for a more heavy duty machine. I am running currently on a mac mini 2012 server

There a few ways to transcode as I use hardware transcoding an Intel box:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Is sufficient for me to transcode a handful of streams if I had to from 4K.

You can also look at NVidia card to do it as well. Just depends on how much you want to tinker or plug and play. A low spec server + patched nvidia card is probably the cheapest but requires some tinkering.

Make sure to check out this:

As well as that has a lot of information.

I have plex pass and all that so it's enabled, but not helping. I think like you said, it's the processor I am using. Also it's benchmark score is awful compared to yours.

I use hardware transcoding as well so it doesn't hit the CPU. My CPU itself would struggle on 4K.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.