429 google drive errors back for anyone using Hetzner, even with cloudflare or google dns used?

Well, if you use the wireguard solution you do not need to have static entries in the hosts file

1 Like

Yeah I've removed the static entries now using Cloudflare DNS

It has been working alr for 4 days

2 Likes

i'm still confused re this....

on the same server others are seemingly having problems with (falkenstein/FSN1-DC12) yet have been smooth as silk for like 19 days now after the hosts edit.)

there HAVE to be other variables at work here...

speed? (i cap my upload speed at 35mbs)

i'm using BBR? could BBR be a variable? if so how/why...

something else must be at work here..

and i hesitate saying all of the above for fear google sees it and clamps down... closes my weird loophole...

but curiosity has gotten the best of me....

what variable am i missing?

why am i the only one still OK?

You're not the only one.

One VPS in Nuremberg never had an issue (but it only reads, doesn't write), and another also in Nuremberg had an issue, gave it the list of IPs in /etc/hosts, and never had an issue again.

1 Like

make sure if you copy paste from here, remove the numbers at the end how many times the link was opened

update:
with all the entries in the /etc/hosts file I got all the error 429 today :frowning:

1 Like

im curious if its a bandwidth thing? is anyone still getting the error capping upload at 35mbs? (thats what i use.)

I use 3 transfers, and I got today 5MB/sec per file. It is fine for me. Sometimes I saw also 10 MB/sec. But at the end it pushed 49 GB in 53 Minutes. Which is slow as hell. But until it works I won’t install wireguard on a vps.

i use just one transfer capped at 35mbs (i'm not in any hurry and would rather not eat the servers bandwidth during uploads : )

i could max it out (and have if i was in a hurry for some reason to make space) at like 100mbs.... though its been a while since i did that.... and not sure that'd still be the case with the host files ip's i there now : ) : (

I get the usual 30ish MB/s per file, about 80-90MB/s total for 4 files transferring at the same time.

1 Like

are people still having problems?

like 3 weeks running fine here after entering the ips into hosts...

I am experiencing 429 issues as well. If somebody at hetzner is abusing the API's, which is banning hetnzer vps's, i think its time to leave hetzner.

i still think there are other variables at work here.... not sure what they are...

i mean i had the 429's hit a couple times now.... changing the dns worked for months... now adding the ips to the hosts file has worked flawlessly for like 3 weeks..

i really think there is another variable here we haven't figured out yet.

Also been fine for me since making the changes to hosts around the same time as you - still using cloudflare DNS

yea... out of curiosity.... and a little speed... i switched back to the hetzner dns actually... and also working fine : )

If you have static entries in your host file for googleapis there is no lookup you are not using dns for this domain

2 Likes

I'm still having this issue is there any solution that doesn't require those workarounds that will eventually stop working ?

1 Like

Just to let anyone know:

Tried to change back this week. Did the following:

• Changed back to Hetzner DNS
  • Stopped routing the traffic through wireguard
  • No entries in the hosts file

Guess what? Was working for 10 minutes, and then bam: 429s are back.

• Changed to CF DNS -> Still 429s
  • Edited the hosts file -> 429s on the go

Now I´m back to my wireguard soution -> works fine without any problems.

I dunno whats going on there ... but it sucks hard!

1 Like

so weird....

am i the ONLY one here not having any problems since the host file edit like 45 days ago?

Everyone I know that made the same changes as you has had no issues since... I guess not many people come here to tell everyone how great it now is since these changes - which it has been! Also factor in I really don't know many people :grin:

1 Like