Why folders from other remote on same gdrive doesn't show?

I'm not having an issue just want clarification on a behavior I'm seeing. I have a gdrive with two encrypted remotes configured on separate config files (encrypted filenames and everything). I expected that when I wrote files using either remote the files were going to be seen in both remotes, although as encrypted gibberish in one or the other depending on which remote I was using to write and read the file. However what I'm seeing is that neither of the remotes can "see" the files written through the other remote, which is neat but I'd like to know how is this possible and what problems can it cause? Is it recommended to "share" storage between remotes in this way? In the gdrive web UI I can see the gibberishly named folders for both (I think).

$ rclone version
rclone v1.57.0

• os/version: fedora 36 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 6.1.14-100.fc36.x86_64 (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.17.2
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

This works because the file names only decrypt properly in the crypt that made them. In the other crypt they will be showing warning messages which you'll see with -vv.

Note that this hiding isn't 100% effective - there is a very small chance you'll see gibberish file names.

I don't think this will cause any problems, but I'd recommend you use two different directories for the crypts to keep things neat and tidy.

that makes sense!

but I'd recommend you use two different directories for the crypts to keep things neat and tidy.

the first remote has TBs of files spread over folders in the root directory.. can I simply move them to a top level directory using rclone without waiting a lot of time for the move to finnish?

Yes. The easiest way to do this is with an rclone mount and use system tools (eg mv or the explorer) to move the files about.

...continued

I think you'd want to mount the crypt and use system tools to move the files into a subdirectory.

You can then use rclone backend encode crypt: directoryName to find out what the encoded directory name is.

Then on the unencrypted drive (maybe in the web interface) rename that encrypted directory to have a more sensible name and update the remote for the crypt to point to it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.