Which cache backend to use?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

understanding which cache back-end I should use

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Ubuntu 20

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

Totally understand that there is no black and white answer to this question however, the docs are a little confusing.

Some of the docs indicate "cache" is currently unmaintained.
Is that that still the case as of today?

And in other docs I have read things that make me think "vfs" is the thing, is what is being maintained/worked on etc.

If I want a general use, low fuss, set it and forget it setup I gather I should just go with vfs mode "full"

Does that sound correct?

Thanks !

What is your use case? What are you using rclone for?

very general use case, not as a Plex server or data source for any "server"

More than anything, just trying to get as close as possible to the official Google Drive Stream client.

Is it correct though that the "cache remote" back-end is not being worked on, no maintainer?
Which would mean if you are new to rclone and want to start using the "thing" that is most likely to be the "thing" in the future - use vfs-cache

I was imagining that I would use mount for the casual/general use but in the case of a large data migration one way or another I'd do a one time rclone copy or sync.
I suppose for that I would need to define a second remote that points at the same upstream Google Drive but simply configured for the basic copy/sync operations.

Does that sound sane ?

or maybe a second config is not needed?
if I have a mount to Google Drive setup, it's mounted via systemd/fuse etc.
And then I happen to do a one time manual rclone copy or sync referencing that same configured storage back-end, would it "hurt" anything?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.