Where did it go?

I ran rclone copy /my/directory remote -P

(not "remote:" just "remote")

Where did that transfer go? It's not in / or in my home directory... but it surely went somewhere.

In your current working direcoty in a folder called 'remote'

felix@gemini:~/test$ rclone copy /etc/hosts remote
felix@gemini:~/test$ ls -al
total 20
drwxrwxr-x  4 felix felix   84 Dec 16 15:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 felix felix 4096 Dec 16 15:49 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 felix felix  221 Dec 12 15:48 blah
-rw-rw-r--  1 felix felix    6 Dec 12 11:17 filter
-rw-r--r--  1 felix felix  221 Nov 29 10:03 hosts
drwxrwxr-x  2 felix felix   19 Dec 16 15:49 remote
drwxrwxr-x  4 felix felix   37 Dec 12 12:02 TEST
-rw-rw-r--  1 felix felix  221 Nov 29 10:03 test1
felix@gemini:~/test$ ls -al remote
total 4
drwxrwxr-x 2 felix felix  19 Dec 16 15:49 .
drwxrwxr-x 4 felix felix  84 Dec 16 15:49 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 felix felix 227 Nov 29 12:21 hosts

nope... that was the first place I checked because that's what I understood the expected behavior to be...

It showed the copy speed as about 50MB/sec so I'm sure it was local, though.

Chances are, you aren't looking in the working directory were you ran the command as that's where it would have put it.

I showed via the output above what would happen. If you can produce something else, please share :slight_smile:

Well, I closed that terminal so I guess I can’t be sure. I looked around, can’t find it. I guess I just have an extra 5 gigs of wasted space now. Oops.

If you are certain you typed remote, you can check by something like

find / -type d -name remote

and you'd get something like:

felix@gemini:~$ find . -type d -name remote
./go/pkg/mod/cloud.google.com/go@v0.44.3/cmd/go-cloud-debug-agent/internal/debug/remote
./test/remote

The problem here is that rclone didn't recognize "remote" as a remote location because you didn't write "remote:" , so this is going to end up being treated as a local destination.

I sometimes make mistakes like that, and then my files usually end up in the same folder as rclone.exe
But I believe Animosity is correct that that is just because that happens to be the current working directory in my case.

It should be easy enough to find the files with a search.

Also I can't spell "where" and I feel even dumber.

Still haven't found those files though...

You might find the rclone ncdu /path/to/dir helpful - this will build an interactive map of where your files are. I use it all the time for tracking down those 5GB that is filling up my disk again!

1 Like