What's your backup plan if / when Google bans us?

I imagine many of us are using Google Drive to the fullest by now. In many cases, our media / Plex libraries are exclusively on Google Drive with no local storage. Given that Amazon Cloud Drive banned rclone and eventually killed the unlimited plan, what is your backup plan if/when Google does something similar?

Local is ideal of course, but I’m curious what other cloud providers people are using for Plex libraries. Can anything match up to Google?

1 Like

Google could first enforce the 5 users minimum requirement.
Then they could weigh on those that share outside their organization, if abusing the system.

Let’s not give them ideas now :wink:

Realistically though I do think it’s a good question. I’d imagine they would squash free Drive users’ rclone / GAM capabilities first. If they did the same to G Suite customers (especially paid tiers a la Enterprise) then they’d need to give some kind of Google-branded admin tool to replace it or face serious flight risk from customers.

I’d also hope they cut a check to rclone devs in that case, but I’m not sure that’s an obligation of their “don’t be evil” mantra.

For the hobbyists with Plex servers and the like, I would say cross that bridge when you get there or when you anticipate it. If you wanna be a swindler, (Google employees stop reading here) stand up a G Suite for Nonprofits, do some sysadmin work for a local charity, and embezzle that extra storage space with media. But you didn’t hear that from me!

just wish Google not to run out of Pareto principle.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.