What is the base path of "--config"?

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

The following is an extract from the documentation https://rclone.org/docs/#config-config-file. Which base path is used for the file that I enter here?

--config=CONFIG_FILE

Specify the location of the rclone configuration file, to override the default. E.g. rclone config --config="rclone.conf".

The exact default is a bit complex to describe, due to changes introduced through different versions of rclone while preserving backwards compatibility, but in most cases it is as simple as: [...]

In the example in the documentation: Will rclone.conf be stored in the installation directory?

Can I also use absolute or relative paths?

In a linux installation: Will path expansion be applied? Will e.g. rclone config --config="~/portables/rclone.conf" be expanded to e.g. rclone config --config="/home/user/portables/rclone.conf"?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

- os/version: ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit)
- os/kernel: 4.4.0-210-generic (x86_64)
- os/type: linux
- os/arch: amd64
- go/version: go1.21.6
- go/linking: static
- go/tags: none

A relative path will be resolved relative to the current directory. You can easily check for yourself with the following command, which will show you the path without creating the file:

rclone.exe config paths --config rclone.conf

If you want a config path relative to the installation directory you can create an empty file named rclone.conf there, and rclone will use it by default - as long as you do not override the default with e.g. --config parameter.

Regarding the last question, I think it is also answered in the documentation you linked

Edit: Rclone does not do path expansion of ~ for the config file. It could have, I guess, it is done for some other file references like --sftp-key-file.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.