What happens when you search or access a Union?

I have a commonly accessed, must-read file which is hitting the google drive rate-limit, 403. In an attempt to mitigate, I am hoping that by copying a portion of my remote directory structure to my local folder, I can reduce the overall load of a search and access on the remote by preemptively completing that portion with the local folder.

My setup is a Union consisting of a remote and a local folder ie. gDrive: bin/Local, copying top-level directories and needed files through a max-depth of 2/3 levels would retain the same structure and (I hope!) reduce the amount of drive.get's being performed by allowing the search and access to look only on the 4/5/6/7/8 level depth directories on the remote.

I would test this but I am currently rate-limited and waiting on the expiration (and may be waiting it out by going to bed soon!). I searched the forums but was unable to discover if anything like this has been researched before. Would someone please mind trying this out and reporting back their results?

If you are going to give this a go I suggest you try the latest beta with the updated union backend - the docs you can find here: https://tip.rclone.org/union/

I think you can most likely make it work with that :slight_smile:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot later and report back my findings.

It's not a managed box so I'm waiting on a ticket for a reboot to handle some rclone processes which are stuck in uninterruptible sleep and preventing updating to the beta.

I've been using rclone for years, it's a really amazing program, thanks for all you and the team do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.