What do hash differences mean?

imagine suing microsoft because they make you do things a certain way. hello? apple is like......right there.

you use a trackpoint for everything?! whycome? why no mouse?

i've got myself a project for this weekend. if i can get this to work i will dump truenas and switch to windows hyper-v. since it can actually do softraid, which is all i have on this box, i'm tickled to try. also, it says microsoft started REFS as a replacement for NTFS. is that still the mission? i've never heard of it before, but i see it has most of the features of ZFS.

and unrelated question. have you ever changed the wallpaper on your home pc? actually, have you ever LOOKED at the wallpaper on your home pc? then you used windows explorer :joy:

perhaps for testing, run the hyper-v edition in a hyper-v VM on your windows desktop...

i do not think that zfs is a replacement for ntfs. ntfs does not need replacing.
in fact, microsoft has removed some zfs features from w10.pro edition, now need e10.enterprise edition to create a zfs dataset.
also, cannot boot zfs, still need ntfs.

another fun thing to do is boot hyper-v edition using a usb stick.
i keep one in my wallet, windows server with veeam backup and replication.
an instant disaster recovery server...

geez, wallpaper, i have solid black desktop and i have disabled themes.

i remember when a mouse became a thing, i hated it and said ""real men do not use mice",
a caveman technology, constantly moving a hand off the keyboard, push the rat around and move the hand back to the keyboard, back to the rat, over for ever. never ending.
computational hell on earth.

my laptop is a thinkpad, and i disable the trackpad.
you might have seen/used a combo keyboard/trackball, often use with rack mounted servers?
i use a combo keyboard/trackpoint, which you can buy from lenovo

running it now. i see there's a whole host of full features installed on this edition of windows server, including file and storage services. wow. i just need to find out the best way to configure them on this headless situation. going from GUI to CLI is a tough one for a noobie like me. :smirk:

not ZFS. REFS. according to the ever trustworthy wikipedia, REFS was started to replace NTFS, because it has data degradation protection features built into it, much like ZFS.

since my server doesn't have hardware raid capability, is there an option to install it on multiple drives from the get-go like with TrueNAS? or how do you install it to prevent a failed drive from destroying house and home?

all editions of windows come with their default wallpaper installed. since wallpapers run on windows explorer, for you to change it to black would require you to "use windows explorer" :grin:

I am an engineer by day. all due respect, but there is no man nor monkey on this planet that could survive running a pointer across four 4k monitors with a trackpointer

i am a new-age fad, a mellenial :smirk:, so i use iDRAC to manage our rack servers :slight_smile:

me never make mistakz, testing you reeding what me writtting.
EDIT: i do apologize. sometimes the human in me gets out of my control. he means well but is such a caveman.
It is tough being a half-monkey half-human living in a mutually symbiotic relationship.

there is no running. it is a trackpoint, not a trackpad. the litle red dot...

really, i do not use the command line, make sure to install windows admin center and server manager,

sure, iDRAC is great stuff

yes, i use four hard drives per server. one drive to boot nfts for the operating system.
three hard drives in raid5, with checksumming, REFS is soft raid, not hard raid, like zfs.

windows will let you know if a drive is dying. via the windows event log or s.m.a.r.t.
just shutdown the server for a few minutes, replace the drive, boot up and you can continue to work as refs rebuilds in the background.

if the pointer on the screen has 80" to travel, it's running :slightly_smiling_face:

ok. let me be dumb here for a second. if you run out of patience with me, just have the monkey do the explaining while you carry about your day.
i am trying to create a storage server here. so if i list the steps to do that, it would be as follows:

1. intall hyper-v server 2019 on the server. how do you install hyper-v server 2019 on 2 drives at a time so that if one of the drives fail, you're not stuck re-installing the OS? for example, TrueNAS, when you install it, gives you a list of the drives it finds on the box, and you just check however many you want to install the OS on, and it'll mirror it on all of them. if one fails, you pop in another one.
  2. create user credentials. that can be done with compmgmt.msc from another server, by adding the hyper-v machine, yes?
  3. creating a local folder that will be shared and accessed over SMB. how do you create this folder and apply the correct permissions to it, and make it shared on the network?
  4. do you set up the RAID for the storage drives? can that be done from another server as well? which tool do you use?

this is what you do for your storage servers where failure could result in very adverse conditions for the global monkey population?

for production servers we use hardware raid

for backup servers, either old production servers with hard raid or soft raid.
for some older servers, there are no ws2019 certified raid drivers.

all right. thank you kindly.

Jared

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.