`--vfs-cache-mode writes` upload expected behaviour?

Sorry, the release didn’t build - I’ll post an update when I’ve figured out what is happening! (The tests didn’t pass in travis but they do locally!)

ok thx for that, appreciated

OK here is the second attempt

https://beta.rclone.org/branch/v1.45-053-ge38cf155-vfs-async-release-beta/ (uploaded in 15-30 mins)

Thx for fixing that build.

In simple command line tests this seems to work so far!

I did have both windows Explorer and a browser stop responding on the first try but I can’t seem to replicate that. I was working on various other things so it may have been unrelated.

I will keep testing with more scenarios and revert back if I detect any issues. So far so good!

Let me know what happens! I’m not convinced this is a sensible thing to do by default - I need to do a bit more research!

Is there any update on your research yet? :slight_smile:
Still facing this with current 1.46 build.
e.g. simply trying to rename a file while uploading in writes cache-mode causes explorer window to freeze completely (not responding) until upload is finished.

Also, is there any way of getting an upload status?
Neither --progress nor --verbose providing any hint. This is currently the main drawback for me using the write cache mode, keep watching the taskmanager for ethernet send speed is pretty bad.
Without cache I get at least a glimpse of progress from the windows file copy dialog (not THAT accurate depending on chunk_size/upload speed etc. of course)

PS: With enabled write cache –local-no-check-updated seems mandatory for windows, otherwise getting “source file is being updated” errors for every uploaded file.

config:
win10_x64 #1809
rclone v1.46 amd64
winfsp-1.4.19049
unlim. (student) gdrive
encrypted, own client_id

Thx for your effort with rclone!
Keep up your great work :heart:

Cheers,
Nord

"edit"
Just noticed WinFsp released a 1.5 Beta, maybe this could be helpful?

Initial FastIO support has been added. FastIO operations are enabled on cache-enabled file systems

I made an update to the beta

https://beta.rclone.org/branch/v1.46.0-110-g518d096f-vfs-async-release-beta/

You can add -v --stats 30s to rclone mount to see some stats on uploads every 30 seconds. I never thought that people might want to use --progress with mount, it could probably be made to work without too much effort!

I haven’t seen that - is something touching the local files? That seems rather odd…

1 Like

Wow, premium support on friday evening :star_struck:

1.46 async beta branch works like a charm.
Finally with --stats I have a nice progress/ETA for my uploads in cache mode, tyvm
-P would be nice to have :wink: wondering that (so far) no one cared about monitoring transfer progress in mount mode - maybe they just rely on os dialog without caching :flushed:

Thx for the hint! It was the AV on-access scanner (Bitdefender in my case)

It’s set to skip on-access scan on network drives by default but rclone/winfsp mounts as a local drive drive-type though. Maybe this can be tweaked in future?
For the time beeing i’ve just set an exclusion for the drive letter i’m using for mount and all is fine so far :slight_smile:

1 Like