Using rclone with Google Workspace and want to backup to Backblaze B2, is my plan correct?

Hi everyone,

I've been using rclone to mount a crypted remote on my server to Google Workspace. Now I want to setup a backup solution to Backblaze B2 in case something happens to the google storage.

So currently I have one remote to google workspace and one crypted remote on top of it, which work fine.

I'm thinking of adding another remote to Backblaze B2, but then I'm getting mixed up with how to crypt and how to backup the google remote to the backblaze remote.

• How to do the backup? I found there is restic that does periodic backups, is it a good solution?
  • Should I create one backblaze B2 remote and another one on top that crypts it? Should I upload the google workspace already encrypted files as is to the B2? Or encrypt the normal files again with another key?

Thanks

hi,
this is how to backup a crypt remote.
https://rclone.org/crypt/#backing-up-a-crypted-remote
the goal is not to have to decrypt and re-crypt the files.

Hi, thanks!

But this in a one time backup right? Is there a recommended way to do it periodically? Or should I just cron

Also, if I set it up periodically, and for some reason the original remote is unmounted at the time of the rclone sync, will it fail nicely?

you can run rclone sync as many times are you want.
after each run, the dest will match the source.

or something like this, which can do a incrementals backups on a schedule.

rclone sync /home/user01/source remote:full --backup-dir=remote:incrementals/`date +%Y%m%d.%I%M%S` -vv

yes, if rclone is interrupted or the source goes down, or the dest go down, or the internet goes down or your computer crashes. none of that matters

for each time you run rclone, rclone will compare the source to the dest,
and in the end, have the dest match the source.

Thanks again!

About versioning. Apparently in B2 each time I upload a file, it gets versioned. So how does that play with rclone encryption?

For example file a.txt. Once encrypted it gets a different name (say abcd.txt). If I understand correctly as long as I keep the same original name the encrypted name stays the same, ok. Lets say some day I want to go back to a previous version of this file. I could pull this file manually from B2, but then how do I decrypt it since it's rclone that has the keys?

well, you have the keys

you could create a new remote, using the same keys.

for example,

[gdrive_crypt]
type = crypt
remote = gdrive:crypt
password = password1
password2 = password2

[b2_crypt]
type = crypt
remote = b2:crypt
password = password1
password2 = password2

[local_crypt]
type = crypt
remote = /path/to/crypt
password = password1
password2 = password2
  1. copy the crypted file(s) from b2 to /path/to/crypt
  2. rclone ls local_crypt:

Ah yeah, makes sense sorry for the weird question!

Thanks a lot man, I'll test this all out

sure, and in the config i posted,
to backup the files, in their crypted state
rclone sync gdrive:crypt b2:crypt --dry-run

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.