Upgraded to Gigabit home internet, struggling with rclone speeds

Hi, I was on a 300Mbps connection previously and I would test my speed with an rsync copy of a movie. I was usually getting around 30MB/s.

I upgraded my internet yesterday to Comcast Gigabit and I am still only getting around 30MB/s. I went to the drive website and started a download and it was running around 95MB/s. Why such a difference? Any ideas on how to speed up my rclone mount?

I have tried changing my host file to different IP's for www.googleapis.com with minimal differences in speed.

Thanks!

Mount Service File Below:

[Unit]
Description=rclone cache
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount plexcache: /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache \
   --allow-other \
   --dir-cache-time 72h \
   --buffer-size 1G \
   --drive-chunk-size 32M \
   --timeout 1h \
   --rc \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M \
   --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit off \
   --umask 002 \
   --bind 192.168.2.120 \
   --log-level INFO \
   --log-file /home/plex/gdrive/utilities/logs/rclone.log
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache
Restart=on-abort
User=plex
Group=plex

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

I'm a little confused by your terminal screenshot. You're using rsync from within the rclone mount to copy a file to /home/plex? I'm pretty sure that's gonna slow you down. If you use rclone copy instead do you see any speed improvement?

Are you running rclone through a VPN? If so maybe that's the bottleneck?

No VPN, that's the static IP of the server. I thought I had to use that for some reason.

Also, I'll go ahead and try rclone copy instead and see what that does. Thanks!

As far as I know --bind is not required. I certainly don't use it and my setup seems to run fine. :man_shrugging:

Would the bind really cause a decrease in speed? Does anyone else have this issue?

I updated my config to use animosity22's settings. Still the same results.

[Unit]
Description=RClone Service
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone mount plexcache: /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache \
--allow-other \
--buffer-size 1G \
--dir-cache-time 96h \
--log-level INFO \
--log-file /home/plex/gdrive/utilities/logs/rclone.log \
--timeout 1h \
--umask 002 \
--user-agent ml3000 \
--rc
ExecStop=/bin/fusermount -uz /home/plex/gdrive/plexcache
Restart=on-failure
User=plex
Group=plex

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

You'd get better performance running rclone copy rather than copying directly to the mount.

If you copy directly, it's single threaded and really won't do well.

I'll go ahead and test that. So when you play a file through Plex, is it limited to 30MB/s? Or is it multi threaded?

The way Plex works, it bursts to try to fill a buffer so probably goes a bit more than that depending on the bitrate of what's being played.

An example graph of something looks like this:

I never really watch my download since I haven't seen issues.

I went ahead and tried a large movie in Plex and it keeps pausing having to buffer. Just seems odd for having a 1 Gigabit connection... Is it possible to multi-thread 1 file?

Do you have the same experience?

Your screenshots looks like something isn't keeping up with the buffer as it should be more spiked like my output is showing.

Everything wired? Is it direct playing / streaming / transcoding?

It looks more like yours when I play a much smaller file. I'm the 5-7GB range. The file I was just attempting to play is more like 30GB. All direct streaming and no transcoding. Occasionally it will transcode the audio. Everything is wired and at the switch where the tv is connected I can pull about 750Mbps from a speed test.

Someone mentioned that I should change my congestion protocol to BBR. I went ahead and tried that with mixed results. For the first minute I get great speeds. What the heck is happening!

Then... It drops... Like crazy!

So, super odd correlation. If I run a speedtest at fast.com my speeds while running an rsync stay at that 100-110MB/s mark for about a minute. Otherwise I get the start at 30MB/s and fall from there... what in the world....

this behavior is consistent.

Wasn't the Gdrive API v3 that is currently used by rclone limited to something between 25-35MB/s?

Read a lot of topics about that here and have exactly the same issue.

It seems like
--drive-v2-download-min-size SizeSuffix If Object's are greater, use drive v2 API to download. (default off)
Should fix that. However, it seems to not work in my case.
(But never actually had time to dig deeper into that. Maybe I did something wrong.)

You might should test that out :slight_smile:

Not really although YMMV:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.