Union mount stopped working correctly without config changes

It might not be so much as a question as something that happened to my config on Windows 10 using a union mount with a google drive crypted mount.

For a week or two, my rclone union mount on windows had stopped functioning correctly, without any change in my config. I discovered I could not create any new directory in the remote as stuff accumulated in my local hard drive.

I have (had) a rclone config file defining a crypted mount set up with

[mountpoint]
type = union
remotes = Z:\medias cryptedmount:

I left a union mount configuration that was done historically when I first set up my mount and let it like. It worked well until a couple of weeks ago where

The problem coincided with the announcement of Google stopping the unlimited storage, and at the time my mount on my computer, letter X: changed from appearing as a normal drive icon with a 1PB capacity and began appearing as a 'Fuse-rclone" drive with no normal drive icon.
It's a strange coincidence but some windows update also happened around that time.

The issue was that it was impossible to create new directories (mkdir errors in logs).

Wondering what was happening, I updated WinFSP to the latest version and also downloaded the latest rclone windows 64bits 1.6.2.2 on the rclone download page.

But the problem persisted.

I decided to test without the union mount, mounting the crypted drive directly in my nssm command line with crypt:X:
And ... the issue was sorted.

All this just to report this if anybody had a a union mount defined that suddenly stops working.

If you would like somebody to look at it please provide all details as stated in Help and Support template.

I don't need the union mount and have no need to fix it, just reporting it stopped working either because of a google change or a windows change.

Were you over quota?

We saw a problem with rclone about returning strange values with over quota disks and this could be related.

What does rclone about say on the crypt and on the union?

I definitely was over quota.

I noticed the mounted drive took a different drive and icon and returned a different occupied / capacity than before.

The drive took the name "rclone-something" and the appearance went from a normal drive with a blue par representing space occupied on 1pb available to a simple icon indicating a maximum of 8.6pb.

I will further answer o ce im in front of the machine !

What I suspect happened is that we told Windows the free space on the drive was negative and it decided the drive was invalid. That is my guess.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.