Unable to Test Connectivity to Google Drive or Properly Configure Log File

This is the ID of the root folder, not the 00 folder. So you'd use GoogleDrive:00 to access.

If you wanted to go straight to the 00 folder you'd put its ID in as the root folder ID and use GoogleDrive:

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I just want to make certain that I understand.

The ID found in the log is for the root of Google Drive, and the ID found in the browser is for the 00 - Rclone Backups directory, correct? And, since I want to go work directly w/ the latter, I'd enter the ID found in the browser into rclone.conf, yes?

However, this is where I ran into the problem I was having before, which was where I had created a 00 - Rclone Backups directory on the root of Google Drive, taken the ID from the browser, and input it into rclone.conf. I then mounted this directory at startup:

rclone mount --vfs-cache-mode full GoogleDrive:"00 - Rclone Backups" D: --network-mode --log-file="C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\rclone\rclone_log.txt" --log-level DEBUG

The problem I ran into was when I copied a document to the mounted directory, Rclone created a second 00 - Rclone Backups directory, so both the mounted path and the Google Drive on the web path became Google Drive/00 - Rclone Backups/00 - Rclone Backups. This issue was resolved by essentially starting over, not creating this directory prior to initializing Rclone, and not inputting any value for the directory ID in rclone.conf. Surprisingly, I was still able to mount this directory, and interact directly w/ it w/out having to navigate to it first, which was my expectation, b/c I hadn't input that directory ID value into rclone.conf, so Rclone shouldn't have known which directory to connect directly to, other than by my command, but I thought that would have been overridden by what was contained in the .conf file.

That should have said

rclone mount --vfs-cache-mode full GoogleDrive: D: --network-mode ...

As if you set the root folder ID, then that folder is at the root so no need to name it.

1 Like

I apologize. I was a bit overwhelmed the past couple of days. It wasn't my intention to simply leave this hanging.

I just want to make certain that I understand. You're stating that the reason I had the duplicate directory issue was b/c, I had the folder ID set to the 00 - Rclone Backups directory in the config, and then I also named it in the startup command. Instead, I should have the folder ID set in the config, use the drive letter in the startup command, and let Rclone set the directory to be mounted based on the folder ID value from the config, correct?

Yes that is correct.

You can do it both ways. Have the root folder Id pointing to the root and name the folder, or have the root folder Id pointing to the folder and don't name the folder.

Either way is good.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. If I do the former, however, it sort of defeats the purpose, does it not? If I want to mount the directory but give the root folder ID the value of the root, I'd then have to counteract that in the startup command by naming the directory. It seems much simpler to go w/ the latter option which was your original suggestion.

Using the ID of the sub folder means that rclone can't see any data not in that folder which prevents accidents. It also takes one less API call to get going.

1 Like

That's an even better reason to do it. Thanks very much for explaining this to me. I really appreciate you taking the time to do so. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.