Ubuntu 20.04 - Plex - rclone > optmize mounting

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I mount rclone and use it with NZBget, Radarr, Sonarr and Plex. All is working but Plex get very slowly. How to optimize the Google Team Drive mounting?

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.59.1

• os/version: ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit)
  • os/kernel: 5.4.0-125-generic (x86_64)
  • os/type: linux
  • os/arch: amd64
  • go/version: go1.18.5
  • go/linking: static
  • go/tags: none

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Team Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

I use crontab to mount my drives like this:

@reboot rclone mount drive-1: /mnt/drive-1 --allow-other --daemon

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[drive-1]
type = drive
client_id = xxxx .... a.apps.googleuserconten .....
client_secret = ..... o2p46......
scope = drive
token = {"access_token":"ya29.a0..... xyzzy
team_drive = 0AM...XXX...YYY...ZZZ...PVA
root_folder_id =

I search and read a few posting here's. I don't use plexdrive because its read-only but I need permission to write for NZBget. I use standard HDD (No SSD) . Here some specs of my Dedicated Server:

AMD Rozon Pro 1700x
32 GB Ram
2x 1TB HDD mounted in Raid0

now I see a lot of Infos but some very old and I don't understand it. So my question is:
How I can make in read and write mode enable the drive get faster with my Plex?

hi,
exactly what is slow?
slow to start playback, slow to scan, slow to seek, or what?
might test with --vfs-cache-mode=full

try to mimic these settings:
https://github.com/animosity22/homescripts/blob/master/systemd/rclone-drive.service

the movies starting very slowly. the scanning time of Plex I don't care because it's in the background but the loading time to start a movie or show is very slowly.

the sysytemd script I found already but I really scared to use it because I don't understand it. let me test your idea of --vfs-cache-mode=full and see how my Plex will react to it. I will report here again after testing. thank you for sharing your idea

no need to use systemd, just copy the settings into your command.

I use crontab to mount my drive like this:

@reboot rclone mount drive-1: /mnt/drive-1 --allow-other --daemon

about the system script it would be like this:

@reboot rclone mount drive-1: /mnt/drive-1 --vfs-cache-mode=full --allow-other --dir-cache-time 5000h --log-file /opt/rclone/logs/rclone.log --log-level NOTICE --poll-interval 10s --umask 002 --user-agent Mozilla5.0 --cache-dir=/tmp/cache --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --drive-pacer-burst 200 --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 250G --vfs-cache-max-age 5000h --vfs-cache-poll-interval 5m --bwlimit-file 32M --daemon

gosh that's a lot. I need the --rc and port too? I use more then 1 drive, I not want get in trouble about the ports

i would get this working on the command line before trying cron

for testing the start of playback, can test this.
rclone mount drive-1: /mnt/drive-1 --allow-other --daemon --vfs-cache-mode=full --drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --drive-pacer-burst 200

1 Like

I mount my drives by your command and flags. I need to test it and watch my Plex. thank you for helping

//Edit

I started a show, did a pause (break) and want start it again ... needs more then 2 minutes to restart the show. sometimes it don't comes back watching

perhaps the issue is with your internet connection, transcoding,

at this point, need to use a rclone debug log,

1 Like

thank you
i will keep watching it and check the logs.
yes maybe the Internet connection is a problem. European to Asia is a bad latency

yes, an internet issue such as network latency is a likely cause.

Just to understand your situation better, are using a local or remote server to host Plex? Latency is mostly an issue between the server and the clients, if remote. GDrive alone shouldn't affect this too much.

My Plex server is remote, with a latency of about 80 ms on average to my local clients. Playback is pretty much instantaneous, unless there are issues with my ISP's peering. Internet here is 500/500.

Note that I don't use Rclone cache at all.

1 Like

my Plex is remote too.
my Latenzy to the Domain (Cloudflare)
64 bytes from xxx: icmp_seq=0 ttl=50 time=58.842 ms
64 bytes from xxx: icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=58.996 ms
64 bytes from xxx: icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=59.127 ms
64 bytes from xxx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=60.051 ms
The latency directly yo my Server is:
64 bytes from yyy: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=178.473 ms
64 bytes from yyy: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=179.879 ms
64 bytes from yyy: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=178.783 ms
64 bytes from yyy: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=178.466 ms

at home I have fiber with 1GB/1GB

by this it looks better about the Plex reaction time but now NZBget can see my Content.
it looks like the drive is empty, check on google online all files are there. mount by standard as I did before all is there again.

sorry, not understanding?

need to post the rclone commands with a debug log

rclone mount drive-1: /mnt/drive-1 --allow-other --daemon

I use only this. if I use something you shared me I can't see all files in drive.

Never mind, is fine. can be closed here. THX at all

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.