Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Crashes VM Syncing Down from Team GDrive

Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS VM running on a Intel Celeron J3455 Quad-core 1.5 GHz with 12GB of DDR3 RAM. VM has all 4 cores and 8GB of RAM currently.

rclone v1.53.0 (had been on 1.51.0, but when I first had the issue I updating wondering if it was a fixed issue).

Command: rclone sync gdrive-ISO: /mnt/NAS/ISO//last_snapshot --backup-dir=/mnt/NAS/ISO//archive/2020/2020-09-10_22:06:48 --log-file=/home/nate/log/job_backup_to_remote_ISO-2020-09-10_22:06:48.log --transfers=1 --checkers=5 --verbose

The drive has a ton of ISOs on it 30-50GB each, I am trying to sync them down to my server for storage and processing. For whatever reason it downloads 1 (slowly at 2-6Mbytes/s despite having faster internet) and then after about 1.5 ISOs it will crash the whole server. I lose SSH, I can't reSSH back in and it's not longer using network traffic up and down. I am very confused at what could be happening here, expect maybe RAM? Usually i would get a 137 exit though for any RAM issues, not crash the entire VM. It'll stay online in limbo until I force shutdown.

Has anyone encountered anything like this?

Edit: Windows gets 17Mbytes/s downloading directly from Drive...

hello and welcome to the forum,

when you posted, you should have been asked for information?
you did not post a debug log, at the time of the vm crash?

if you think it is a ram issue, you can run `top' or 'free'
but your command is very simple and nothing points to a ram issue.

i am not a linux expert but your command has two slashes.
`/mnt/NAS/ISO//``

as a test, you could reduce the bandwdith
https://rclone.org/docs/#bwlimit-bandwidth-spec

Can you find out why it is crashing?

Look at the kernel log maybe? Your VM host should let you do that.

It could be a hardware problem - bad RAM or a bad ethernet driver is quite common.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.