Tweaks/Flags/Options For Faster Remote Browsing

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

Not a problem per se, but browsing my mounted gdrive remote is sort of sluggish, was wondering if there are any tweaks that could alleviate this a bit, I guess something along the lines to --fastlist on some commands. Note: found this old thread from 2019 about it, wondering if rclone has had some features or flags added in the meantime that may address it through normal flags in the mount command.

Run the command 'rclone version' and share the full output of the command.

rclone v1.55.0-beta.5318.2bdbf00fa
  • os/arch: windows/amd64
  • go version: go1.16

Not yet on latest; latest is 1.57 as far as I can tell from the site.

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

Google Drive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone mount gdrive:/ Z: --network-mode --vfs-cache-mode full

The rclone config contents with secrets removed.

[gdrive]
type = drive
client_id = redacted
client_secret = redacted
scope = drive
token = redacted

A log from the command with the -vv flag

Not sure this applies, as again not an issue in the working of rclone itself. Will certainly provide if indicated as needed.

hi,
@VBB has experience with gdrive and priming the vfs dir cache.

might take a quick read of my summary of vfs caches

Any particular reason you're using --network-mode? In my experience, this does not make a (positive) difference.

I would add --rc to your mount, and then follow that up with another command for priming the dir cache:

rclone rc vfs/refresh recursive=true

In Windows Explorer, I've made this change, and that seems to have helped a lot with listing files/folders"

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

EDIT: You might also want to add something like --dir-cache-time 5000h to your mount.

I think over a year back when I started with rclone mounting, I compared both the regular one and the network-mode one. The network mode one appeared to be ever so slightly faster, as far as browsing the folder structure of the remote, so I have been keeping it.

Thanks for your input will try your suggestions and report back. I'll need to modify it in task scheduler (runs on bootup in windows10) and reboot.

i have read, to the mount command, or any gdrive command
--drive-pacer-min-sleep 10ms --drive-pacer-burst 200

--network-mode
i have read many comments about that, good/bad/indifferent.
that for network drives, windows and/or explorer does not try to display thumbnails and stuff like that.

I do use these additional flags, but omitted them here for simplicity's sake :slight_smile:

After you mentioned --network-mode recently, I thought I'd give it a try with my read/write mount (non-cached, non-primed). If anything, it seemed just ever so slightly less responsive, so I got rid of the flag again. To take care of the thumbnails and other stuff, I use the settings in the picture above. That does the trick.

Holy crap.

It's like night and day. The response time is like a proper local drive now.

Thanks so much!

In case anyone is wondering and it helps, this is my .cmd file for system scheduler that is now giving me the faster folder browsing (along with the folder properties optimization for documents VBB indicated above):

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.