There are a better way to use rclone?

Hello I'm new here, pardon me if say something stupid.

I normally use my windows machine to sync files with the cloud (normally use Dropbox/Google Drive/One Drive windows clients) and I need to change my OS to a linux machine, so I'm trying to have a good environment to use, but access my files on the cloud are making me upset, first I try just to rclone mount the remote root folder locally but the speeds of reading and writing are not that good, so I put the rclone cache in the middle, it speed things up but not enough to use as good as a local folder.

So now I'm thinking in something local folder and sync it with the cloud, using my remote partition, because I need both ways sync.

But I read a lot in a lot of things in a lot places I'm not sure what's is a better solution, my current approach is have a partition of the remote source with cache, using rclone mount, and have a local directory with a copy of the entire remote folders and then sync it using sync or using something like.

Is that a good, for mount partition I'm using a service running on start and probably will have a cron schedule to sync files.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I'm sorry but I didn't understand your use case.

Have a local folder and sync it both ways with the cloud.

If you just want to sync it to the cloud, you can keep it simple:

rclone sync /some/path remote:

If you want to have a local fuse mount that you can browse as a normal file system, then mount it:

rclone mount remote: /some/path

Depending on what you want to do with that mount, you may need other options like --vfs-cache writes for example.

I'd stay away from the regular cache backend unless you have a reason to use it.

This is a one-way sync, while the OP wants a two-way sync (à la Dropbox).

@zesley, you can mostly achieve what you want with rclone sync --update /some/path/ remote: followed by rclone sync --update remote: /some/path. There are probably still some caveats, so I would run with --dry-run first to see if this will do what you want.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.