Synology, Plex, GD and up to 1 min no network activity?

Hi,

I have my Plex Server on my Synology and some movies in Google Drive, if I mount&share Google Drive with Netdrive on my MiniPC and hit play, the movies start after ~7 seconds. But if I mount Google Drive with Rclone directly on my Synology and hit play it takes 30 to 60 seconds before the movie starts and during that time I have no network activity.

How can I speed that up? I tried changing the values and googled but didn’t got it to work. Do I have to wait a couple of days for Rclone to scan everything because I just set it up and the cache-dir folder stays empty, don’t know if that’s how its supposed to be.

I mount Rclone with this:

/usr/bin/rclone mount --config /[path]/rclone/rclone.conf gDrive: /[path] --allow-other --dir-cache-time 48h --cache-dir /[path]/rclone/cache --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 1G --buffer-size 256M

Is your movie transcoding and the NAS device is slower? How much memory does it have as you have a 256M buffer per file opened configured?

Did you configure your client ID/API key?

https://rclone.org/drive/#making-your-own-client-id

1 Like

Thank you very much. I totally missed that one. Creating my own Google Drive API fixed the problem. It now loads in 5 to 10 seconds.

Awesome. There is a change coming up to make that more apparent in the rclone config as it’s a common item.