Sync to same folder: dual boot Win10 / Debian

What is the problem you are having with rclone?

I have a dual boot machine - Win10 and Debian - and there is a disk where I already have Windows synchronising OneDrive. I'm trying to set up rclone on the Debian side so any documents I change / add / edit on the Linux side also sync. The intent is that all my "OneDrives" (Android mobile, Mac, several Windows machines, and now Linux) stay updated, no matter where I make changes.

I have just tried to install rclone using the instructions I could find on the various web sites / YouTube, but I get an error "Fatal error: Directory is not empty:", which makes sense as there is already a full OneDrive sync, but if defeats the purpose if rclone cannot use a directory already full.

I can't find detail topics on the web to help me understand enough, and I obviously have no desire to accidentally wipe my current local data. Any help much appreciated.

What is your rclone version (output from rclone version)

rclone v1.50.2

• os/arch: linux/amd64
  • go version: go1.13.4

Which OS you are using and how many bits (eg Windows 7, 64 bit)

Debian x86_64

Which cloud storage system are you using? (eg Google Drive)

OneDrive

The command you were trying to run (eg rclone copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone --vfs-cache-mode writes mount OneDrive: /media/xxx (the path that maps to OneDrive on a HDD NOT where Debian is installed)

A log from the command with the -vv flag (eg output from rclone -vv copy /tmp remote:tmp)

rclone -vv --vfs-cache-mode writes mount OneDrive: /media/xxx
2020/01/07 12:08:08 DEBUG : rclone: Version "v1.50.2" starting with parameters ["rclone" "-vv" "--vfs-cache-mode" "writes" "mount" "OneDrive:" "/media/xxx"]
2020/01/07 12:08:08 DEBUG : Using config file from "/home/schalk/.config/rclone/rclone.conf"
2020/01/07 12:08:09 Fatal error: Directory is not empty: /media/xxx/ If you want to mount it anyway use: --allow-non-empty option

A mount is looking for an empty folder to mount something on to and it doesn't sync. It mounts the remote to the location you specify.

You'd mount the OneDrive to an empty directory and use that it is the contents of your remote storage.

Thank you, but that defeats the purpose of what I need. There is already a directory with all the remote (Microsoft OneDrive Cloud) files syncing to it - the one I sync on the Windows side. Is it not possible to share this directory between Windows OneDrive and rclone / Linux?

I'm not sure what you mean by share.

You cannot mount over something so that doesn't work.

You have the option to sync a local folder via some scheduler at multiple points to a remote so that might work.

The cleanest way is really to use the mount though imo.

Any 3rd party client for onedrive would basically do the same thing on Linux via a mount.

Thank you for your assistance.

How do I close this topic?

It closes out after no activity. No need to do anything.

You can mark a solution as well.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.